• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

79 D44?

redrider11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I've found this 79 bronco with a d44 in it and was wondering how hard and how much work is involved in swapping this axle into my 2002 4wd ranger? Is the axle any good since its so old? Im new too SAS so please help me the whole bronco is really cheap so I may have to get it while I can!

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Well since you have IFS, you will have ALOT of fabbing to do. As for the D44, just rebuild it. Theres guys on here who have done it, more or less they will be responding to this soon.

redrider11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
what fab work would i have to do? what should i rebuild in the axle?

rangertoy

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Solid Axle Swap
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6?
Tire Size
you will probaby have to re-gear it at the least, while your in the D44 I would go ahead and put new bearings in it as well. As far as the fab work, you will have to make spring mounts, shock mounts and radius arm mounts. There are some good SAS build threads on here and I have a little knowledge of it. I would reaserch it for a while before diving into a SAS, and if you don't have welding/fabrication experiance I would'nt attemp it

redrider11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
What is needed to make spring mounts shock mounts and radious arm mounts?
How much would all the metal cost me? I want to learn how to do all of this stuff anyway so I might as well do something useful while im learning!
Once i get the axles it doesnt really matter how long I take to them up for the swap so I dont really have to do this in a set time span

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I would advise to do it on a different truck, not a daily driver.

But you will have to cut out all the old a arms, 3rd member, crossmember for the third (or whatever that thingy is called), and take out the rack and pinion.

Then you will have to use an actual steering gear (I'm [will be] using one out of a pre-95 toyota ifs pickup), crimp (or have crimped) the correct fittings for the ps lines to run to the steering gear, modify your steering column to mate to the new steering gear, mount axle (coil buckets, radius arms, panhard bar), build steering, and modify/build a new driveshaft.

That's the simplified version that's pretty much the plan of attack for me when I finish my parts gathering.

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I must ad, it will be alot of work with a helluva lot more costs than one will expect.
(I made a to-do list with prices on mine, keep in mind mine is a junkyard budget, and I needed about 2k to start everything)

But, having the entire donor vehicle will make things a lil easier and cheaper than trying to piece everything together separately.

redrider11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
yeah im on the fence i think it might be to much work and to much risk of messing up my truck to do it. I just saw the bronco and saw how cheap it was. (the body is rusting) But i thought i might try a SAS

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A SAS is a huge "mod." I wouldn't advise diving in blindly, or with little fabrication experience. If you do decide to dive in, don't do it with a 79 housing. They have cast wedges and will limit your options as far as the type of suspension setup you can use. The more options the better. This is coming from a guy that has a 79 housing under his truck.

redrider11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
thanks also found a D44 off a jeep wagoneer 80-86 model for $150 would that be a better choice?

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
You plan on goijg with leaf springs or coils? For the IFS I would think that going with leaves would be easier but the ride quality would drop a bit.

rangertoy

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Solid Axle Swap
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6?
Tire Size
even with coils the ride sucks, may just be the springs I have. I have been a welder/fabricator for about 15 years and my SAS took every bit of knowledge I have and at times i thought i got in over my head. I don't think anyone here is trying to talk you out of doing it but you may want to research for awhile and get a plan of action before you tackle this job. Heres my build thread http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62598 its not much but it may give you a better idea of whats involved

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
that waggy axle would probably be better.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals