• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

7.5 or 8.8

lessthanzero

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was getting my truck ready for the summer and took off the back drum breaks on my 94 4.0 ranger to make sure everything was in working order and i noticed one of my axles was leaking from the wheel seal. so went to the part store and told them needed a wheel seal for my rear axle and i had a 8.8 rear end which is stated in the tech library as "1990 & up 4.0-liter Rangers. These are ALWAYS equipped with the 8.8-inch 28-spline rear axle." when i got back and tried the wheel seal the 8.8 wheel seal was to big and when i took in the old wheel seal when i went back to the part store it matched the 7.5 axle wheel seal? the side of my door says axle 92 which is a 8.8 in the code book so i am confused. I dont know what i did with the tag that goes on the axles but is there any other way to check for sure ??

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
a lot of times aftermarket have stuff listed wrong. i wanted front bearing seals for my ranger, they gave me something that was way too small, went back, sold me the same thing. i dont know what they fit, but wasnt my truck.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I was getting my truck ready for the summer and took off the back drum breaks on my 94 4.0 ranger to make sure everything was in working order and i noticed one of my axles was leaking from the wheel seal. so went to the part store and told them needed a wheel seal for my rear axle and i had a 8.8 rear end which is stated in the tech library as "1990 & up 4.0-liter Rangers. These are ALWAYS equipped with the 8.8-inch 28-spline rear axle." when i got back and tried the wheel seal the 8.8 wheel seal was to big and when i took in the old wheel seal when i went back to the part store it matched the 7.5 axle wheel seal? the side of my door says axle 92 which is a 8.8 in the code book so i am confused. I dont know what i did with the tag that goes on the axles but is there any other way to check for sure ??
you should be able to tell just by looking at the pan. the 8.8's are more of a square with rounded corners. post a pic if you can, lots of people here can tell just by looking

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
you may have got the seal for a 31 spline axle or just been given the wrong part

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
Yeah it is a problem with the computers that no one has corrected. The same thing happened to me when I did mine.

So dont worry, you have an 8.8 and the autoparts store is wrong.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
you may have got the seal for a 31 spline axle or just been given the wrong part
i'd bet youre right. the 28 splines use the same seals and bearings as the 7.5 but the 31 spline uses bigger seals and bearings.

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
kunar you are right. when i rebuilt the 8.8 i bought at the junk yard with 28 spline axles i ordered the stuff for the 8.8 but they were too big.. so i went back an got the seals/bearings for a 7.5 an they fit perfect. the 8.8 parts they are giving you are for a explorer 8.8 31 spline axle. the 7.5 an 8.8 axle shafts are IDENTICAL

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When they give me the wrong part, I try to drag the old part back in there for them to compare before we move on to round two. It is hard to get it wrong at that point, and since you thought you had the right part it is already tore apart by the time you realize you don't.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals