• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

7.3 into explorer

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Got a buddy into the rbv scene. He's hell bent on a diesel swap. First it was a 4bt till I explained how expensive the swap can be. Now hes asking about the 7.3 Turbo diesel. I doubt it'll even fit. I've seen 351s and there is some fancy work done to fit those.

So what about a 7.3?

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I picked up my running 4bt for $1k.

Which 7.3 are you referring to?

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have no idea what 7.3 he just said 7.3 diesel. Keep in mind this kid has no metal Fab skills. I've tried steering him towards a 5.0 but he wants a diesel. He can't do his own wheel bearings but thinks he can swap in a diesel.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Maybe you should steer him towards a bicycle.

Heck, the 7.3 is gonna cost a LOT more than a 4BT.

bulrid8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
An explorer won't handle the weight and the torque will tear the frame apart, fast!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Maybe you should steer him towards a bicycle.

Heck, the 7.3 is gonna cost a LOT more than a 4BT.
yeah....but he would want to trike that with a 7.3 before it was done:icon_rofl:

but a 7.3 swap is likely cheaper then a 4bt swap adsm, around here it would be more cost effective. of course location dictates costs and they will vary. but generally the 4bt is in higher demand and in limited supply and production compared to the psd.

An explorer won't handle the weight and the torque will tear the frame apart, fast!

what are you basing that on? a wild build 800 hp 1200 ft lb engine?

an explorer will handle a stock or simple chipped 7.3 psd just fine. some basic torque boxing and its a non issue. a turbo idi 7.3 or 6.9 wont hurt it at all.

or did your psd tear your rbv to pieces?

bulrid8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
yeah....but he would want to trike that with a 7.3 before it was done:icon_rofl:

but a 7.3 swap is likely cheaper then a 4bt swap adsm, around here it would be more cost effective. of course location dictates costs and they will vary. but generally the 4bt is in higher demand and in limited supply and production compared to the psd.

what are you basing that on? a wild build 800 hp 1200 ft lb engine?

an explorer will handle a stock or simple chipped 7.3 psd just fine. some basic torque boxing and its a non issue. a turbo idi 7.3 or 6.9 wont hurt it at all.

or did your psd tear your rbv to pieces?
Based on multiple PSD builds in Broncos, F150's and one mustang. The amount of prep to have the frame, axles and suspension handle the weight and torque of the motor, is just not worth it.
If you have an extra 3-4k laying around, then go for it. Anything can be done, with enough time and money.
I would be looking at a 4bt or Mercedes diesel. Easy clean swaps.

A 6.9 would never even be a consideration. They are boat anchors!

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
fair enough.

but based on the same types of swaps in half ton chassis/fsb i strongly disagree. the 4bt is much more destructive with vibration.

using modified van type mounts, i never seen any frame issues in the half tons yet. theres several over 10 years old with no issues. though i have not seen those guys in a few years.

i have run hundreds of thousands of miles with a v8 diesel in my ranger since 08 with no issues...and my frame was trashed and well used long before that happened.:dunno:

bulrid8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
What engine did you go with? Sounds good.

Back in 97' we tried a PSD in a 96' ranger, to see if it would work. Engine was pretty mild, only 315hp. Only mods to truck was mount reinforcements and crossmembers. Heavier coils for weight.

It lasted about 3 months! The torque ended up twisting the frame and the front axle fell apart from the added weight. It was done just to see if it would work.

A friend took same motor and put in a 95' ranger. But, he had about $3k in frame reinforcement and one ton axles. Now, that truck is still going strong, last time I heard.

The 4bt vibration can be overcome with proper mounts.

I really like Mercedes diesels for small truck swaps. Not big powerhouses. But, very dependable setups.

Like I said, anything is possible with time and money!

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You know Bobby, that might not be as hard. Open engine bay, no space restrictions, gotta custom build mounts anyway...

I think that would be easier.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
You know Bobby, that might not be as hard. Open engine bay, no space restrictions, gotta custom build mounts anyway...

I think that would be easier.
I don't think the axles would hold up. :icon_rofl:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
What engine did you go with? Sounds good.

Back in 97' we tried a PSD in a 96' ranger, to see if it would work. Engine was pretty mild, only 315hp. Only mods to truck was mount reinforcements and crossmembers. Heavier coils for weight.

It lasted about 3 months! The torque ended up twisting the frame and the front axle fell apart from the added weight. It was done just to see if it would work.

A friend took same motor and put in a 95' ranger. But, he had about $3k in frame reinforcement and one ton axles. Now, that truck is still going strong, last time I heard.

The 4bt vibration can be overcome with proper mounts.

I really like Mercedes diesels for small truck swaps. Not big powerhouses. But, very dependable setups.

Like I said, anything is possible with time and money!

now you have me curious...

where are you at? where did you build these rigs?

the ranger...the second ranger, did you guys work at carron and co at that time and the owner lives near waltz? i seen it for sale about 8-9 years ago near willow and at m.i.s., but it had a total custom frame so not noteworthy to me. I am detroit native, and you sound like many of the prototype/ x wrench contract house guys i have run with in the past. And...my name is Bobby Walter oddly enough. I am shitty with names for the most part so for all i know we know each other. the projects you listed sure as hell sound familiar.

i used a 6.5 in my ranger initially. and now a 6.2. but i will likely put a mechanical 6.6 d max in so i can run blended fuels. i had less then $400 into the initial swap.

i regulalry detroyed dana 35 beams and damaged my frame with 260-300 plus hp sbf's in my ranger prior to the diesel swap, but i run one ton axles in it now. and fawked all of that shit up too with a wimpy ass sbf ford in there.

but nothing in the destruction dept that is not manageable. i dont think i could get 300 hp out of a 6.2 or 6.5 for very long... but a 250 hp 7.3 i cant see as a problem, anything you can do with motor mounts to calm one of those 4bt turds would only further soften the blow of one of the smoother v8's.

unless you were tough trucking or rock racing i cant see a psd destroying an rbv platform. and even then, like i said...a sbf will do that in those conditions.

and in general, i am not "easy" on my million mile truck chassis.

bulrid8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
No. I was living in FL at the time we did these builds. Was big into PSD's when they first came out. I have a tendency to move to different vehicles when I start getting bored. Now a days the family takes up most of my time, so the builds have been backburned for a few years. Can get back to that, once kids are grown.

It is a great feeling to stuff a diesel into something small and feel the power!

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals