• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

64 inch and shackle flip question

99_3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.GO!
Transmission
Automatic
I was reading up the tech article about it. In the bottom pictures where the suspension is at full droop, when the shackle contacts the bottom of the hanger, wouldn't that create leverage where the shackle bolts to the hanger? Would this be enough of an issue to break anything? I suppose the only force this would sustain would be upward, away from the bottom of the hanger. I would also have to run a lift leaf so I wouldn't have my tires sitting in the top of my fenders on flat pavement. Currently with stock leaves, belltech 6400s and a 2 inch block I have about 3.5 inches of lift, more or less. How big of lift leaves would I need to clear a 33 and not grenade my fenders? I will be using some sort of bumpstop as well. I would be interested in doing this swap after I figure out these questions. Thanks a ton! :icon_thumby:

Last edited:

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Most of those set ups use a limiting strap to control the suspension droop so damage does not occur.

99_3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.GO!
Transmission
Automatic
that would probably be the easiest way to do it, with limiting straps. i was thinking of incorporating a bumpstop somehow on the rearward part of the hanger to limit uptravel so i keep my fenders intact. but limiting downtravel i could use limiting straps easily.Would this be a feasable idea on a 99 ranger having maybe 3 or 4 inches of rear lift at ride height?

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Get a drop hanger. Giant sells a bracket. I believe Ruff Stuff is working on a kit as well.

99_3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.GO!
Transmission
Automatic
I'll just use my stock hangers and have the leaf springs re-arched 12 inches like in the tech article. What I need to figure out is how much travel this will give me, so I can order some limiting straps. Can anybody give me a ballpark for travel with this setup?

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I'll just use my stock hangers and have the leaf springs re-arched 12 inches like in the tech article. What I need to figure out is how much travel this will give me, so I can order some limiting straps. Can anybody give me a ballpark for travel with this setup?
Just run the stock Chevy springs and dont do the shackle flip, it will give you around 4.5 inches of lift using the stock block. I swapped Chevy springs and put on 2" extended shackles. It got me 6.5 inches with the stock block.

-plumcrazy

ES894x4

December 2013 STOTM
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Just run the stock Chevy springs and dont do the shackle flip, it will give you around 4.5 inches of lift using the stock block. I swapped Chevy springs and put on 2" extended shackles. It got me 6.5 inches with the stock block.

-plumcrazy
he doesnt want the lift he wants the travel

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
What I need to figure out is how much travel this will give me, so I can order some limiting straps. Can anybody give me a ballpark for travel with this setup?
Unfortunatly this will not work out like you think. You need to get the parts installed and then droop the truck. Then and only then can you measure where to place the limit straps and know how long they will be.

99_3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.GO!
Transmission
Automatic
Unfortunatly this will not work out like you think. You need to get the parts installed and then droop the truck. Then and only then can you measure where to place the limit straps and know how long they will be.
ic. Its not the easiest thing to do as its a dd. I wold have to do everything to get it installed and then put the shackle back to original and then get limiting straps and then do it all over again. Straps are kind of expensive especially if you buy a couple and theyre the wrong length lol. Thanks for your help guys

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
You don't need straps right away. Mine are sitting in my shop right now, waiting to be installed.

99_3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.GO!
Transmission
Automatic
Copykat after you did yours does the shackle sit straight up and down, or does it lean towards the front of the truck? I'm also thinking about just doing the shackle flip with exploder springs so I won't have to move the front hanger.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals