• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

60's-205-Big Block C-6

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
run a hone in the cylinders to freshen up the hatching,this will help the rings seat.for the manifold,weind makes a real good one for this motor,open plenum single plane.i've also had good results with the edelbrock performer rpm cam and intake combo.if you have a die grinder,this engine responds well to a little port matching and cleanup on the heads.2" tubes on the headers should be good for a mild motor,dump into dual 3" with low restriction mufflers(3" straight through)i find a holley 750dp is pretty good on these as well,and an msd to keep it lit.you dont need to worry about the stuff that usually breaks the bank,like rods,crank,and pistons.stock cast pistons will handle all the nitrous you want to throw at it.if you do want to throw money at it,ford racing has all the goodies to go over 800 cubes.edit-i just checked weiand's site,seems they dont have the single plane manifold anymore,just one that looks like the edelbrock.go performer rpm.

Last edited:

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Cool..........Im keeping my eye on ebay and craigs list for goodys.

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
interesting story concerning the 460-a few years back a freind had a mud bogger with a full race 460 in it.he went to a weekend long mud race and on his second run,it broke a(aftermarket)connecting rod.....and there was still another day of racing to go.so that evening,with the help of some other racers,he pulled the stock 460 from his tow rig and put it into the race truck-and swapped the twin 4bbl tunnel ram and 600 nitrous shot onto it too.took 1st place for the weekend round,tossed the engine back in the tow rig and drove it home.

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
interesting story concerning the 460-a few years back a freind had a mud bogger with a full race 460 in it.he went to a weekend long mud race and on his second run,it broke a(aftermarket)connecting rod.....and there was still another day of racing to go.so that evening,with the help of some other racers,he pulled the stock 460 from his tow rig and put it into the race truck-and swapped the twin 4bbl tunnel ram and 600 nitrous shot onto it too.took 1st place for the weekend round,tossed the engine back in the tow rig and drove it home.
thats redonkulous

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thats redonkulous
ya,pretty crazy what people will do to get through a race weekend.i've done engine teardowns to get the second day in,but i've never risked my ride home.if theres anyone from the fraser valley out there into the mud scene,you may remember this one-called 'moonshiner',a 52 ford panel.

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thats some old school for ya right there!
Going to try to get our to the yard tomm. to check the price on either of the rangers.
On a personal note...
My 13 year old stepson moved in with us yesterday,his dad has turned into a major piece of crap,52 year old man hooked on pain pills.The kid wiped out the wifes golf cart right after school let out in spring and messed up the growth plate in his knee,had to be in a cast all summer.After the second week at home with his dad he "Ran out of pain pills" the doc gave him for his leg...................he had a script of 60 oxycoton.........had been giving the kid Tylenol 3 and taking the pills himself.This kid was in a full leg cast with 3 steel pins sticking out of it.That guys lower than the dirt under puke!
I told my wife to go get him,he started school here today so know I have a 13 year old son....lol!He is a good kid A's and B's in school,likes to work on stuff (knows which end of the wrench to use..lol) and I can con him into mowing the yard!
I have known the kid since he was 5 but it feels like I have a new son!
My kid isnt a kid anymore,23 with a gig of his own so this is kinda exciting for me.

Oh yea.........got the wife drunk and told her what the big pile of parts are for (another project)......the swelling of my left eye is just about gone down!I shoulda seen that right hook coming.............guess Im getting old and slow............lol.

Nah....just jokin.......she just rolled her eyes and asked ...."Whats this gonna cost?" and "Fix me another drink!"

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
old school is right-that was back in about 84 or 85.as for the bs with the drugs,it might be for the best....the father was probably a user before,though it seems a bit tougher to use the t3's,they are less addictive and the kid could probably handle a bit of discomfort-i know i did when i was all busted up with steel pins hanging out and was given t3's.oxycontin is a nightmare drug.....keeps the pain at bay,but there are a million stories of grief from the aftermath.let the old man get his fix,save the kid.btw-hope that swelling goes down soon.:icon_hornsup:

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The wife is happy to have the kid here,its her fishing buddy.
We all know if the wife is happy ...your happy!

I just hope I cant get the X-cab super cheap.

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Haven't had a chance to check on the X-Cab,been working on the go cart with the kid.
I gotta get out there tomm morning and make sure they haven't crushed it.

1slow5oh

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
351w
Transmission
Automatic
You say a 460 is cheap to build until you go to buy aftermarket heads...or a decent fuel injection system.

And rev the piss out of a 460 like you can a H.O 302.....right.....
Would i rather have a 460 in my ranger....yes....can I afford to build it how i want it no...So i went in the middle and got a 351w....

BTW I like you style... Cant wait to see more progress...

Last edited:

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If I had it to do over I would have put a 351 in my 85 instead of the 302.

Im not looking to make thru the roof HP,dependibility and low end TQ is more my goal.
I have decided to put the engine in the bed of the truck facing backwards running a stearling rear flipped upside down for the back end,the front is still in the works.I have an idea but havent worked the kinks out yet but if it will work it will be a first.

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You say a 460 is cheap to build until you go to buy aftermarket heads...or a decent fuel injection system.

And rev the piss out of a 460 like you can a H.O 302.....right.....
Would i rather have a 460 in my ranger....yes....can I afford to build it how i want it no...So i went in the middle and got a 351w....

BTW I like you style... Cant wait to see more progress...
the 460 will rev-maybe not like a 302,but i routinely hit 6000 with a stocker sporting 150 nitrous.that seems to be about the point valve float acts as a rev limiter.this is why you want good valve keepers,so you don't drop one through a piston.
one big difference between the 302 and 460 is that every time i tried really beating a 302 i found they like to spit out the #1 rod bearing.i haven't killed a 460 yet-not for lack of trying.hurt them a little,but they always get me home from the mud bog.
as for the cost of heads and stuff,they are not really needed,unless you are in competitive drag racing.a stock low compression 460 makes more torque off idle than a 302 revved out.or at least it seems that way.try spinning up 44 boggers in a 6500lb truck with a small block.
don't get me wrong,i like the 302.just got tired of changing them all the time.my explorer has one.
351w is a good motor too.got a stock one in my f350-reliable,if thirsty.also,putting a mildly built one together for my boat.have good expectations for it.
but the two rigs that are all about beating on,there is nothing but the 460-low budget all the way,and can't hurt them.
as for efi...who cares-that's why holley makes big carbs:icon_thumby:

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I couldn't save either of the Rangers...........they were crushed so I'm still looking.
Its a freakin shame is all I can say.
I'm going to look at some 460 goody's this weekend and I hope to at least get the engine on the stand that is if go cart parts don't come in....lol.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
subscribing to this one. Chad i think you should start over, the 85 is nice like she is

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks Boggin,leaving the 85 alone for now.
This will be a slow go project so be patient lol.
I still have a crap load of parts to gather up.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals