• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

55 gallon cracked frame

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I drug my fish tank out of my storage unit and set it in its spot in my new house with big plans to set it up. Then I start noticing that the plastic frame is cracked on most of the ends is cracked and it is also cracked on the center brace top and bottom. I don't know if it got too hot in the storage unit over the summers or if moving it cold in winter was too much for it. It is the standard 55 gallon tank that is roughly 4' long and a foot wide.

How much does the frame really do?

My gut says to dump it craigslist as a reptile tank and put it towards a new one... for the sake of the new carpet and laminate floor. :fie:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
The tank itself should be glued together and the frame is only for resting the top glass on...the bottom is probably just to balance it out...

You could probably pull the frame off and make a new one if you really wanted to, but I don't think the fish care one way or the other...

Only thing I'd suggest is to fill it up and let it sit somewhere that it won't leak on your floors and see if it is actually leaking...maybe put it outside overnight to test...with something under it to let you know if you have a slow leak...a big leak would be pretty obvious by the water level in the morning...

I've never owned an aquarium but have always wanted one so I could have fresh fish...:)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Its winter right now so if it isn't the house we have the risk of freezing (which will break it)

I am mainly worried about the crossmember, if it is to keep the 4' long glass panels from bowing. And then there isn't much left of the side pieces to hold anything together either. My big worry that it might hold for awhile and then with a mighty kaboosh a side blows out..

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
That top brace does more than you think.

bigbadford91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
you can purchase those pieces. i just bought the wife a new top for her 75 bowed front tank. hers was crack at the top center brace.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
That top brace is very important to control the flex and bow of the glass panels. The price of a 55g simple glass tank ain't worth the risk of it bursting.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was really going to say, not worth the risk but then went down and looked at my 75 and 90 gals, neither one has the top front to back brace. Both of them are 4ft wide and 18" front to back. Called my buddy and his 125 gal has two top braces. The 125 before this one did spring a leak and caused a mess. Your call but might be nice to start out fresh and clean.
Dave

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you can purchase those pieces. i just bought the wife a new top for her 75 bowed front tank. hers was crack at the top center brace.
That top brace is very important to control the flex and bow of the glass panels. The price of a 55g simple glass tank ain't worth the risk of it bursting.
New frames are about $15 a pop from what I have found, so for $30 I would either fix it or make it worse. A new one with my Petsmart card is $116. I am going to try to get $50 out of this one so a new one would only cost me $66... pretty stinkin cheap. Even $116 if I end up throwing this one way is far cheaper than redoing my new carpet and laminate floor...

I was really going to say, not worth the risk but then went down and looked at my 75 and 90 gals, neither one has the top front to back brace. Both of them are 4ft wide and 18" front to back. Called my buddy and his 125 gal has two top braces. The 125 before this one did spring a leak and caused a mess. Your call but might be nice to start out fresh and clean.
Dave
I have been reading on this, the tanks with thicker glass don't need the cross braces.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
The pet shop my mother worked at cut the braces out of all of their display tanks. They had over 100 tanks without the brace... of coarse this was almost 20 years ago, when stuff was made better.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals