• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5/6 drop

BIGbrashy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, this is my first post. Picked up 97 2.3 5spd 4x2 and bought the djm 3/4 kit, belltech 2 inch drop coils, djm calmax dropstruts, and 2 inch drop blocks. I should get 5/6 outta this, right? How long should it take to install? I'm doing this with a knowledgable mechanic but its happening in a driveway on jack stands. Any tips on this project for a first timer?

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
First, I'd send the blocks back. You can get 2 inches of drop in the rear simply by flipping the back spring shackle. It's basically free. If you search "shackle flip" I'm sure you'll find some decent write ups.

Another tip, dropping it more than 4 inches in the front usually makes it very difficult to get the truck properly aligned. You'll need serious camber adjustment, and you have to be willing to wear tires out faster if you're that low.

Third, if you're dropping the rear more than 4 or 5 inches you'll want at least a "C notch" or you'll be bottoming out on the frame all the time. Your back and your passengers will thank you.

The whole drop kit install shouldn't take more than a day or two in the driveway. If you guys are good, and there aren't too many hang ups, it can probably be done in a single day. I'd hit all of the fasteners with some penetrant when you park the truck overnight for a few days before just to help with rusty bolts.

BIGbrashy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm picking up the camber eccentrics, do I just need 2 for the front? And I've been seeing that if you go lower than 6" out back then that's when you should notch? I would love to notch but that would have to be at a later date, this is my daily Andy want to get it finished in a weekend, don't have access to an angle grinder or welder at the moment.

BIGbrashy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
And for wheels I'm running 15x8 cragar soft 8's with 195/45's up front and 15x10 cragar soft 8's with 225/45 out back

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm not an expert when it comes to lowering the i-beam trucks, but even with camber eccentrics, it may not be alignable if it's lower than 4 inches in the front. Just be prepared for that.

Usually a flip kit in the rear with cut bumpstops will ride fine most of the time, and will only bottom out occasionally. Anything lower than just the flip will tend to bottom out more. Obviously, the lower you go, the less travel you'll have. If you're going 2 inches lower than the flip kit, then you'll be losing two inches of valuable suspension travel (hence the suggestion of a C-notch).

Speaking of the notch, a bolt-in notch should be enough for the drop you want. If you have a die-grinder, or a sawzall you should be able to do it fairly quickly and easily. You don't have to do any welding, and the cutting is minimal compared to a full custom frame notch.

None of these things are necessarily required, but they are small considerations to make that may affect your overall enjoyment of the truck once it's lowered. Having a truck that rides comfortably and doesn't destroy tires every few thousand miles is much nicer than the alternative in my opinion.

Also, it seems like your tires might be a little narrow for your wheel choices, unless you like the stretched look. (I run 245's on a 9 inch wheel, and 295s on my 10 inch wide rears and could go wider on both)

Last edited:

BIGbrashy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ya I'm going for the stretched look but thanks for the input, I'll deff put everything into consideration. How hard is it to do the bolt-in notch? Anything I should be aware of?

idmx302

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L 302ci
Transmission
Manual
Took me and a buddy an hour and a half on the passenger side beam and less than an hour after we figured out what to do. A blowtorch will help you out, and definitely some antiseize. I'm dropped 5/4 right now with beams and 2" drop springs and a flipped 8.8. I'm running a 275/40R17 on OEM Terminator Cobra wheels out back with no tires for the front wheels yet. I'll be getting 245/45R17s though. Right now it's a 205/75R15 steelie.

idmx302

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L 302ci
Transmission
Manual
I have yet to notch, but to get the extra 2" definitely shackle flip it and return the blocks.

BIGbrashy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What's the steps to flip the shackles? What will I need?

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Flipping the shackles requires drilling or cutting out the rivets that hold the shackle to the frame, then you rotate the shackle 180 degrees, and reattach using bolts/nuts instead of rivets. You can google it and probably get some decent write ups with pics.

idmx302

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L 302ci
Transmission
Manual
I torched mine, but drilling works too. Replace with grade 8 hardware. Super cheap.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals