• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4x4 Lift Ideas? - 2005 Ranger FX4

ftlbs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I grew up off-roading with an Early Bronco that I used to take to Moab a couple times a year. As you might guess, my Bronco wasn't a very reliable daily driver and I couldn't afford 2 vehicles, so I sold it.

I now drive a 2005 Ranger FX4 and can't seem to find any lift kits that suit my needs. I'd like to be able to install a lift kit that has decent off-road travel, but will also allow me to drive anywhere from 60 to 100 miles a day for work without major issues. I really don't need to run tires bigger than 33s, and I'm not interested in a lift kit that will require major body modifications (fiberglass fenders). It's looking like the SuperLift kit is my only option, but I don't feel it would perform all that great off-road.

Any thoughts?

I'm almost tempted to somehow swap my suspension out for the 1983-1997 Ranger suspension so I could install something similar to the Skyjacker Class II kit with coils and extended radius arms. Is this even possible?

bsmithbyitch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i swapped the suspension lift from an 84' into my 95...it worked i just had to grind the drop brackets a little. you could do a body lift, if you did you would have to adjust somethings like bumper lift brackets, steering column, and pedals. i went with a 2 inch and just had to do the bumpers but im pretty sure if you go 3in. you would have to change that. i have 33's right now running a 3in. suspension and 2in. body. without the body lift the tires scrubbed the front a little bit but you could easily trim a little off. just make sure that your ranger and the old ranger have the same type of suspension. also if you put larger springs in the front it will bow your tires in like this \ / but it just needs an alignment.

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Anything is possible. The only manufactured lift kit is superlift. It will perform just like an IFS lift. Instead of swapping in ttb, just do a solid axle swap on it.

But if you only need 33's, get the superlift and be done with it.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
i swapped the suspension lift from an 84' into my 95...
The 98+ front suspension is totally different. Other than the bodylift, what you did on your 95 will not work on a late-model.

I really don't need to run tires bigger than 33s, and I'm not interested in a lift kit that will require major body modifications (fiberglass fenders).
The Dixon Bros. kit has a lot more travel but requires fiberglass front fenders and costs a hell of lot of money.

It's looking like the SuperLift kit is my only option, but I don't feel it would perform all that great off-road.
You are correct. That is your only option. It'll go better than you might think though, especially if you can scrounge up a discontinued Powertrax No-Slip front locker.

Last edited:

bsmithbyitch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yea i wasn't sure thats why i said make sure the suspension is the same

2007BlackFX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have the perfect solution for you! haha get the superlift and then go talk to Nick from offroad warehouse. You can get a Coil-Over Conversion for the front suspension which gets rid of the torsion bars and replaces it with Fox 2.0 Emulsion shocks and your choice of coils. This will give you more clearance in the front and a MUCH smoother ride.
As for the rear you have multiple options. You can get the 6" skyjacker softride leaf kit or you can get the 2.5" Deaver springs from ORW or you can just leave the stacked blocks from the factory and superlift. Or you can get 63 chevy springs and beltceh 6400 shackles. You can mix and match almost all of that. Theres lots of options haha.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Instead of swapping in ttb, just do a solid axle swap on it.
This is probably your best option for a later IFS truck if you want a good amount of suspension flex. The short IFS A-arms are just not capable of more than about 7-8" or so travel before you start running into other issues such as overextending the axle CV joints (swapping in the earlier Ranger TTB axle is a lot more work, but is doable if you want to do any speed running. Suspension lift kits won't work on it however due to frame differences, most of it would have to be custom).
I would look for an '80s Jeep Wagoneer axle to sling under there, or maybe narrow down a '78-'79 F-150 D44 axle to the width of an early Bronco axle (not very difficult to do at all). Do a search for '98+ Ranger SAS conversions (also '95-'01 Explorer).

The other option would be to sell your '05 and get a mid-'90s model Ranger that already has the TTB suspension. These trucks are starting to age a bit though so you'd need to get out your fine-tooth comb to make sure there's no potential reliability issues about to crop up (I'd probably just stick with what you already have and just do the SAS).

ftlbs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Get the superlift and then go talk to Nick from offroad warehouse. You can get a Coil-Over Conversion for the front suspension which gets rid of the torsion bars and replaces it with Fox 2.0 Emulsion shocks and your choice of coils. This will give you more clearance in the front and a MUCH smoother ride.
As for the rear you have multiple options. You can get the 6" skyjacker softride leaf kit or you can get the 2.5" Deaver springs from ORW or you can just leave the stacked blocks from the factory and superlift. Or you can get 63 chevy springs and beltceh 6400 shackles. You can mix and match almost all of that.
Hmm...this idea has caught my attention. In the front, what superlift parts would I end up keeping if I did a coil-over conversion? Anyone know what would be involved? Would suspension travel be any better?

Heathen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You are correct. That is your only option. It'll go better than you might think though, especially if you can scrounge up a discontinued Powertrax No-Slip front locker.
What is the story on this Powertrax locker you talk of?

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
What is the story on this Powertrax locker you talk of?
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=87218&highlight=front+locker

I have heard that the Powertrax No-Slip for our application has been discontinued and I have read conflicting information as to whether the Powertrax Lock-Right will work (or not). While our front diff is a Dana 35, not all Dana 35 parts will work in it. FYI, Dodge Durangos use the same front diff.
Main advantage is that a front locker will allow you to go slower and not rely on momentum quite as much, i.e. beating the snot out of your truck and breaking parts. Important if rocks are your thing, as OP mentioned.

07rangerfx4lv2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
ive been half looking into a front locker for my truck...not sure why...

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
ive been half looking into a front locker for my truck...not sure why...
Living in Ontario, I wouldn't recommend it since you'll be driving on snow a lot.
A front locker is a handful on snow and ice (when you turn, the truck will merrily plow straight ahead toward that parked car, utility pole, fire hydrant, etc.) and 98+ Rangers do not have unlocking hubs. Point being if you have hubs and a front locker you just lock in one hub for driving on snow.
A front limited-slip is somewhat better for snow. For a while Reider Racing could modify a Detroit True-Trac to fit in the late-model Dana 35 front (at fairly minimal cost I might add) but they went out of business. I have heard that Randy's Ring And Pinion bought up Reider's inventory but I don't know if they can do the True-Trac mod or not. It just involves thinning up the ring gear side of the case.
I have never had a front L/S or locker in anything I've owned, always a rear L/S until my current truck, and driven through some truly nasty snow between PA and Upstate NY and never had a problem. A selectable front locker is really the way to go for winter, like an ARB or Auburn ECTED, but there isn't one made for our trucks.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals