• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4x4 control module plug

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Great way to destroy the axle shaft thrust washer on a D35. Fine on a D28 that had a bearing... not so fine on others.

Can ≠ should... most transfer cases should NOT be shifted from one range to another while moving. Does it really bother you that much to stop and shift?

Either way he has your suggestion so unless you have further troubleshooting steps for him to take, please cease your arguing here.
Keep the thrust washers greased and it's not a problem, shifting a transfer case into low range is no different than shifting a non synchronized manual transmission, they actually shift easer when you are moving slowly than at a complete stop.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Mine says engage up to 55 MPH, and I really see no problem with that, nor any reason to prove it. I'll engage it when I feel it's necessary, and I have never seen it to be necessary when it's doing 55 mph.
I do recall them somewhere referring to some oddballs who would come up on slippery surfaces and engage it believing their shiny new SUV would get them through the mess, but they wound up in the ditches also

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Keep the thrust washers greased and it's not a problem, shifting a transfer case into low range is no different than shifting a non synchronized manual transmission, they actually shift easer when you are moving slowly than at a complete stop.
Are thrust washers also on the automatic shifts, or not?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, where the yoke pushes against the differential side of the axle spindle.

Owner's manual says to have trans in neutral and at a stop to shift into 4 low. That is the only way my 1350 would go.

Of all the advantages of a manual t-case, the ease of "quickly" shifting into low range with Ford's stupid dogleg shift pattern is not one of them. I am glad to be rid of it.

1986 STX, watch the front driveshaft, if it doesn't have a slip yoke going into the t-case you will either have to find a manual STX highrider t-case (only the high rider trucks did not have the slip yoke front output) or get the driveshaft to match the t-case from a mere mortal truck. Also a fun game, in first gen land most transmissions are different lengths so watch that too, that effects driveshaft length.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
86 ford ranger stx
I’m trying to get the 4x4 working and I did some diagnostics on the 4X4 control module.

It had no power or ground so I chased the wires and I found a plug under the driver side dash that comes off of the control module wiring harness. the rest of the harness goes to the electronic shift motor on the Transfer Case.

Does anyone know what this plug goes to?
I’ve looked all around under the dash looking for another plug that it goes into.
Maybe I’m just not seeing it? Or is there something that it plugs into that I can’t find?

also there are 4 other plugs under the driver side dash that don’t plug into anything
Can anyone identify them?

This come from 4x4 control module harness

Random plugs
This is from the '88 EVTM, it might help.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
The wire colors on the black connector you pictured don't match up with the diagram 85_Ranger posted and they don't match up with my diagrams for a 3rd gen truck. But that doesn't mean it isn't for the 4x4 system. If your wiring is similar to mine, just different colors, then, in the dash, you would have a connector at the back of the 4x4 pushbutton assembly. Then there would be another 8- pin connector in the same harness. Those wire colors should all match up.

Your other random connectors could be for options your truck doesn't have. The more "basic" or "stripped down" your truck is, the more "extra" connectors you will find. Things in that area behind the dash could be warning chime module (key in ignition, lights on, seatbelt, etc.), light for the ash tray, ABS module, windshield wiper delay module, etc. The best way to track things down is to get the EVTM (Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual) for your exact year model of truck. These books are often available on eBay. The EVTM is where 85_ Ranger got those drawings and book pictures he posted. Having a copy for your exact truck would match up wire colors. Connector shapes and locations and most importantly, the wiring diagrams.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
This is from my 86 EVTM...

20240117_160630.jpg

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Yes, there is supposed to be a thrust washer & c clip on the axle shaft that keeps the shaft centered. Greasing it does nothing; most people's hubs are packed full of grease there anyway. The irony here is that every truck I've worked on that had a destroyed thrust washer also had manual hubs... the thrust washer & clip on auto hub trucks is ALWAYS in good shape. Grease or no grease, it's steel spinning against steel when the hubs are locked in. Those two pieces are not designed to rub against each other long term. Thus my recommendation NOT to drive around with the hubs locked in all winter.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes, there is supposed to be a thrust washer & c clip on the axle shaft that keeps the shaft centered. Greasing it does nothing; most people's hubs are packed full of grease there anyway. The irony here is that every truck I've worked on that had a destroyed thrust washer also had manual hubs... the thrust washer & clip on auto hub trucks is ALWAYS in good shape. Grease or no grease, it's steel spinning against steel when the hubs are locked in. Those two pieces are not designed to rub against each other long term. Thus my recommendation NOT to drive around with the hubs locked in all winter.
Sorry, I was thinking of the plastic washer on the other side that does get greased.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This is from my 86 EVTM...

View attachment 104626
It seems kind of off, there is nothing going to shift motor. The motor like never changed. I pulled the one out of my '86 parts truck and it was plug and play in my parent's '94 Explorer. Also nothing going to the switches.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
It seems kind of off, there is nothing going to shift motor. The motor like never changed. I pulled the one out of my '86 parts truck and it was plug and play in my parent's '94 Explorer. Also nothing going to the switches.
Oh it's definitely off...

No switches... no encoder motor anywhere in my 86 book.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've never looked any of them up in any of my stuff. What year model is it

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
86 ford ranger stx
I’m trying to get the 4x4 working and I did some diagnostics on the 4X4 control module.

It had no power or ground so I chased the wires and I found a plug under the driver side dash that comes off of the control module wiring harness. the rest of the harness goes to the electronic shift motor on the Transfer Case.

Does anyone know what this plug goes to?
I’ve looked all around under the dash looking for another plug that it goes into.
Maybe I’m just not seeing it? Or is there something that it plugs into that I can’t find?

also there are 4 other plugs under the driver side dash that don’t plug into anything
Can anyone identify them?

This come from 4x4 control module harness

Random plugs
Sorry for getting side tracked there. Are you certain that plug goes to the shift motor?
I've been looking around in some of my early Ranger books and they say the 86 has a connector coming from the shift motor to a junction in a box behind the drivers seat
Czn you confirm that, or check the wire colors in yours and see if they are matching the colors you are finding in that plug?
Is that circuit hard to follow on to the shifter?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals