• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4WD systems

4X4Ranger92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have a 92 ranger and i would like to know how to check the 4x4 switch. i have power going to the switch red/yellow wire, gray wire, and brown/white wire. it doesnt light up or does anything. can somebody please help?

desertrat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I cant remember the colors, but there are 2 wires that go directly into the motor. Probe them with a volt meter and see if you have positive and negative on those wires when the switch is activated. If you have power there the motor is bad. Not uncommon either. A rebuilt one is abou $115. at Auto Zone. If you do not have power there start chasing it back toward the wiring. Are you aware you can pull this motor and put it in 4WD with a wrench or something? My 98 is marked on the Xfr Case with 2WD, 4Hi and 4Lo. Will get you out of a pinch.

4X4Ranger92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the reply. as you can tell i dont use my 4x4 that much. its still not fixed. i just have one question. is the there anything on the system that can keep the 4x4switch from working like a sensor or something? the switch tested ok. continuity from the module to the switch is ok. thanks

4X4Ranger92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yea thanks i just printed that stuff off. when i get off of work i'm going to check it out, if it isnt raining. thanks. this website is awsome.

nick344

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
if you have not used it in a some time the motors are known to cause issues. there is a section in the tech library on how to clean them.

4X4Ranger92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i fixed it, it was the motor. i spent the extra money and bought a new one from ford. $160 plus tax. thank guys for the info. the hardest part was trying to get out that red cap that was inside the 9 pin connector. i used a scratch awl. time to hit the mud and the hills...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals