• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4wd issues

cablesNOTwires

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2003 ranger 4.0 5 speed, I had recently put in a lift and went and tested it out. Well I got stuck in some mud and when I used 4wd it would make a loud clunking noise and doesn't operate normally. I eventually got out and still in 4wd it would make the clunking noise but once I put it back in 2wd it works fine. I'm guessing it might be an issue in the transfer case but honestly I'm not sure. Any help is greatly appreciated.

tandangerranger

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Check the u joints on your front drive shaft. Is there any squeeking noise or just clunking? Does it happen intermittently or continuous when engaged?

cablesNOTwires

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I didn't hear any squeaking noise mostly just the clunking. And it was more intermittently, it would make the noise as soon as I would start moving forward, then again another wheel rotation. But it is really loud and I can feel it through the floor.

tandangerranger

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like it might be inside your front diff. Does it jerk the truck when it clunks?

tandangerranger

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had something similar last winter. It would clunk in 4wd, when I started inspecting I found my diff housing cracked and the seal and bearings exploded. It was definitely noticeable when looking at the axle. Usually your u joints will give one clunk when you start going. But if in your front diff there are broken teeth, that can cause jerking and clunking intermittently.

cablesNOTwires

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok thank you, I will be inspecting that and check it out. I'll post what I find, and if that is the case, what kind of repair and cost am I lookin at?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals