• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4R44E No Reverse

Diggerauditor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Purchased a 99 Ranger 4X4 3.0 that was in good condition except for the transmission didn't get reverse. I did some investigating before I went and looked at it. When I test drove it, I started out in 1st and let off to see if the truck slowed down, failure to slow was likely a band failure, and it did slow down. So I was encouraged. It drives fine other than no reverse.

While I was checking the lights, I had my son put it in reverse to check the backup lights and the truck lurched back and tried to move in reverse. I didn't make to much of it at the time.

I checked the Shift Solenoid, SSA, a site said it may be that, but it checked okay. I checked other sites and checked for a blown valve body gasket but everything looks good. Discouragement has set in now that I'm 0/2 trying to diagnose this thing.

Can anyone tell me if there is supposed to be a spring under the Reverse Piston, cuz there isn't one and I always thot there was. I'm confused since I called a trans place and they said there was but I just watched a youtube video of a teardown and there wasn't. Can anyone give me some ideas as what to check now.

The fluid was nasty. Looked like motor oil. If my oil looked like that I wouldn't changed it 15,000 miles ago. The other thing is the Reverse Piston seems to be in at an angle, just doesn't seem right. I would've thot they would've been perpendicular but what do I know. I may just put this thing together and see what it does. If anyone has any ideas let me know please.

Thank you

Transman304

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler PT
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem
No spring on rev servo from 1995 up. Just try putting it in 4hi and 4low and try rev with it in each. These had a bad habit of rear case half of Tcase wear and allow range fork and hub to fail. Let us know what you find.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals