• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

44 hub tries to lock itself while driving???? wtf??

crazywhiteboy

May 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
just finished my swap. i have 79 dana 44 and 9inch, completely rebuilt, 513s, lockrite and spool, new bearings, seals, new warn premiums, etc....noticed while i was driving down the road. i heard the buzzing, clicking or a gear not completely engaged, jumped out to find my driverside hub in halfway locked. passenger side hasnt ever tried to turn itself after 300 miles. but the driverside will do it after just a few miles. i cant figure why it would do that or what would make it do that. would be nice to know my hubs dont try to lock themselves, but im stumped.:icon_confused:

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
correct me if i`m wrong, but to lock warns, don`t you need to push them in?

i know the warns on my f-250 used to click for sure at each end, possibly a greasing issue? too much or not enough...

crazywhiteboy

May 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
correct me if i`m wrong, but to lock warns, don`t you need to push them in?

i know the warns on my f-250 used to click for sure at each end, possibly a greasing issue? too much or not enough...
nah..warns just turn 9/10ths or so to lock, then just before it locks in, it clicks. but while im driving, the hub turns itself about 4 or 5/10ths(halfway), so its partly engaged, BY ITSELF...i dont get it, probably something stupid, like too much grease, but idk. cant figure it out to save my life, although i really havent looked at it too much (just blew up the lockrite, so ive been busy trying to find a detroit).

organic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Before I bought my Ranger the previous owner said the same thing, said the drivers side hub would engage on its own. It's never happened to myself, but I did replace the wheel bearings right after I brought it home and the outer lock nut was way to loose, could have been the culprit, not really sure.

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
If you have the locking spline collar assembled backwards that can happen. I know I've done it before in a rush, and purposely when old sets inner lock teeth wore to the point of skipping teeth as a temporary trail fix.

crazywhiteboy

May 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you have the locking spline collar assembled backwards that can happen. I know I've done it before in a rush, and purposely when old sets inner lock teeth wore to the point of skipping teeth as a temporary trail fix.
as far as i know i have assembled the hub in the correct order. im not sure of the terminology of the internal parts of the hub, but from the many many that i have pulled apart and put together, everything is correct(as far as i know). i tried to pull up an exploded view of the hub, and couldnt find out which part is the locking spline collar. the hubs both work perfect, dont unlock themselves, and engage just fine. im going to pull them apart, and reassemble them again see if i can figure this out.

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
The part that splines onto the stub axle, then splines into the part of the hub that comes off when you pull the hub apart.

The piece I'm talking about is the piece inside the two middle pieces in this pic (one up, one lyin down)

Last edited:

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Last edited:

crazywhiteboy

May 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
okay i see what your talking about. to be honest, i doubt its backwards because they went straight from the box to the axle. came pre-assembled, and i still havent taken the time to pull them apart to double check. so saying it wasnt 'locking spline collar', what else do you think it could be? maybe tomorrow ill make some time to get to it. (not really to into working on it since i just blew up the lockrite, so cant wheel it anyways, atleast not til i pay rent then buy a detroit.)

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
bearing a bit loose?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I've seen something like this happen before on a D60, the culprit was a stub shaft that was slightly too long and rubbing against the inside of the hub's dial. The fix was to cut a tiny bit off the end of the stub shaft spline (make sure you're not cutting off the snap ring groove, if so you might have an incorrect stub shaft in the axle (some are longer than others).

crazywhiteboy

May 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks for all the responses. i finally pulled apart the hub today, noticed the snap ring(?) that holds the second most inner splined part of the hub, (thats around the piece that is splined onto the stub) somehow managed to come off. so i disassembled the hub, regreased, then reassembled it. still not sure if it fixed it, but that was the only thing i saw wrong with it. gonna take it for a drive tomorrow see how it does.

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Same thing happens on mine....

crazywhiteboy

May 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Same thing happens on mine....
it sucks..not cool to be driving down the road and hear your hub clicking and buzzing and shit. i think i finally fixed it tho.

Josh40601

U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1991/2001
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
yep. I just pull over and turn it, and keep on trucking. Only happens ever couple of thousand miles

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals