• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

430s on my stock 04 edge??

jim cafarelli

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 2wd 5spd 4
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
Im wanting to do a gear change on it to pickup up some towing power and some grunt on the hills around here, its bone stock,auto trans with 373s in it right now,I was considering 410s not sure if that would make much differance.I know it sounds kind of extreme but years back i went from 327s to 411s in my mustang 5.0 with an auto and it was perfect,it picked up all around even gas mileage picked up on the freeway.Seems to me these automatic transmissions are power hogs and need all the help they can get...
Thanks ahead for any replies,,,jim

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
7.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
i think it would be fine there was a guy on here a couple years back with a stock 2001 2.3 with 4.56 and i believe his gas mileage improved and the truck had over 200k miles on it if i remember right.

373 to 4.10 no noticeable difference hardly worth it
now if you had 3.55 to 4.10 then that would be a different story

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ya didn't say

Im wanting to do a gear change on it to pickup up some towing power and some grunt on the hills around here, its bone stock,auto trans with 373s in it right now,I was considering 410s not sure if that would make much differance.I know it sounds kind of extreme but years back i went from 327s to 411s in my mustang 5.0 with an auto and it was perfect,it picked up all around even gas mileage picked up on the freeway.Seems to me these automatic transmissions are power hogs and need all the help they can get...
Thanks ahead for any replies,,,jim
Howdy Jim... Where you? Ya didn't say. What is the tire size you have on that ride? How long are your daily drives? Are you expecting more power in high gear at 35 mph? Or just what are your expectations? With stock size tires the 3:73 gear should be the all around gearing for our little truck.
I run 30.5" tall tires with a 4:11 gearing and automatic...it fits me fine. With a little lower tire the 3:73 would fit me fine also.
Big JIm:hottubfun::wub:

jim cafarelli

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 2wd 5spd 4
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
Alaskan thats what Iv read so far "hardly Noticeably from 373s to 410s" ,,,,

Big Jim Im in Valley Center,California. I drive up a big grade every day to get home and do my share of freeway driving being my concern of 430s maybe to steep.But if my cruise RPM @ 70 to 75 in overdrive is reasonable my bet it will pickup MPG and ease up the strees on the engine and trans.. I have the stock tires yet 235/75/15s they measure out to about 28.5, guess I could throw 30s on there if it revs out to much? ..jim

Last edited:

Spowerback

Banned
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
v6 4.0L /
Transmission
Automatic
yea my 1997 2.3 with 4.56 and i believe his gas mileage improved and the truck had over 200k miles

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Howdy Jim

Alaskan thats what Iv read so far "hardly Noticeably from 373s to 410s" ,,,,

Big Jim Im in Valley Center,California. I drive up a big grade every day to get home and do my share of freeway driving being my concern of 430s maybe to steep.But if my cruise RPM @ 70 to 75 in overdrive is reasonable my bet it will pickup MPG and ease up the strees on the engine and trans.. I have the stock tires yet 235/75/15s they measure out to about 28.5, guess I could throw 30s on there if it revs out to much? ..jim
My advice? Leave it alone! You will only be dissapointed with any gear change from them 3:73 ones you've got in there now. You are as near perfect with 28.5 tires as you will ever be. When you get on that grade why don't you simply shift to a lower gear and leave it in there till you get to the top.. If you swap gears you will LOSE mpg, as the rpm will increase where it doesn't need to.

jim cafarelli

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 2wd 5spd 4
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
Big Jim,,,I dont claim to be and engineer of any sort but I do believe there is more to efficiency and MPG then just rpm...MPG are more effected by load. Pulling another gear doesn't change torque multiplication to the ground were gear does not to mention taking the load off the trans from what I read may be a weak link.. I feel where you live and what you do with a truck reflex's what gear is ideal...Where say in Texas,Florida such places where it is flat and a guys driving around with a empty truck 373s may be perfect.But here where I live its not and when I stack on my lumber rack or pull my trailer up the grade to get home I know there's room for improvement in the swap..
thanks again jim

jim cafarelli

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 2wd 5spd 4
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
I just did a breakdown on a Calculator online its with a 28 inch tire and the automatic in OD .75 @ 70 mph

373s 2349 rpm
410s 2583 rpm
430s 2709 rpm

surprisingly there is a big difference between 373s and the 410s 234rpms @70 between the 410s and 430s only 123 rpms

Also reading the was a FX4 Ranger that came from the factory with 456s,i never seen one of those? jim

RangerRocker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have never heard of any ranger coming from the factory 4.56 gears. I always thought the fx4 came with a 4.10 gear ratio. And, the level 2 had 4.10's and limited slip. Not super sure though. Just basing this off memory. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just did a breakdown on a Calculator online its with a 28 inch tire and the automatic in OD .75 @ 70 mph

373s 2349 rpm
410s 2583 rpm
430s 2709 rpm

surprisingly there is a big difference between 373s and the 410s 234rpms @70 between the 410s and 430s only 123 rpms

Also reading the was a FX4 Ranger that came from the factory with 456s,i never seen one of those? jim
Jim I don't even know where you came up with the 4:30 gearing. It seems to be halfway beween 4:10 and 4:56.. Must be an aftermarket gearing.
You gave the rpm differences at 70 mph. Yep! There is a difference but in actual driving I doubt you would find enough difference to warrant the price of the swap.
Now you might find a stock complete axle with the 4:10 gearing and swap the complete axle in there. Then if you LIKE it you would have your original axle to sell.. You might come close to breaking even with such a swap.

94 lngbd

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I thought that the chassis cab trucks from the 80's that you could put a flatbed on came with 4.56 gears

jim cafarelli

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 2wd 5spd 4
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
Hi Big Jim,,,,,below is a link to them, there motorsports,I can do it for basically cost of the gears,,, I worked at Ford for some years (collision work) but had friends that were mechanics I learned how to from them also been drag racing 5.0s since the mid 90s always built my own. Other wise I like your Idea with swapping out the whole diff
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-4209-G430M/

I got a better measurement on the tire this AM (it was pouring rain the other day when i checked)it they are right at 29, they are original and im due for new,I been still calculating the numbers and your right why bother for a suttle change Im considering 456s and jumping to a 30 that will put me at 2680@70. that's hardly over reeving it..
My other concern does the speedo calibrate it self off the sensor on the rear end on a 2004 and will my shift points end up all out of wack??

94LNGBD I read about the ranger FX with 456 in out tech library

thanks again jim

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My other concern does the speedo calibrate it self off the sensor on the rear end on a 2004 and will my shift points end up all out of wack??

I hope someone answers that question... as I am curious also. All I have ever had anything to do with have had different colored plastic gears in the tranny. These new ones might get their milage from anywhere.. But keep in mind they don't have a clue as to the circumference of the tires..
I did notice on my new chevy truck there is 16, 17, 18 and 20 inch tires and wheels available from the factory.. But the final circumference of themALL is the exact same.

Big JIm

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
The shift points may change slightly but I was always under the impression that the shifts were based on engine load.

The speedometer and odometer will change, atleast they did in mine.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals