• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.6 Dohc Swap

johnboy89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.6 DOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Been awhile since I posted, but have been doing some work on the truck. I was able to get the intake tubing hooked up. Lost the coolant/winshield reservoir, but not too worried about that. Came out ok I guess might change it later on, especially if I put a cobra intake on it.

[/IMG]

johnboy89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.6 DOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Got the radiator in and steering pretty much done. Next it's on to making headers, bought a set of cobra manifolds, thought they might work due to being smaller than the Mark VIII's manifolds, but they are not going to work. Bought a set of flanges off E-bay and an old set of 302 headers.

[/IMG]

johnboy89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.6 DOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Also got the Mark VIII fuel pump mounted on the Mazda assy., had to modify it some, as the Mazda has the PSI regulator mounted in the tank. Was able to use a tube from the current assy. to run a return back.

[/IMG]

f100guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Terrific job. I'll post a new thread with details and a link to photos of mine.

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
nice work i want to see it running

bbq

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Figured I would post a thread on my project. It's a Mazda B2500 that will be getting a 4.6 DOHC from a 98 lincoln Mark VIII. I actually have a 94 Mark VIII drivetrain also that was originaly going to go in, but the OBD II and lower mileage on the 98 convinced me to go that direction. I'm hoping to keep the budget somewhat low, at least until I have a running drivetrain. I'll try and post up pix as I go along.

[/IMG]
I just picked up an old 94 couger 4.6 going in 1989 mazda can ya tell me what i need for ing. mont.trans mont. or just HELP Thanks bbq.NH

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I just picked up an old 94 couger 4.6 going in 1989 mazda can ya tell me what i need for ing. mont.trans mont. or just HELP Thanks bbq.NH
1993 and older Mazdas are completely different and are not based off the Ranger like the 1994+ ones are. So any information he has would most likely be irrelevant to you.

johnboy89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.6 DOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Well had some time to spend on the truck:D, putting the wiring harness together, put it all together on the bench now I'm tying it into the truck's wiring. Hasn't been to bad as alot of the same color wires are used between the two, Ford must use a standard color code with the OBD II wiring.

[/IMG]

Last edited:

ChrisR1S

10/2013 STOTM Winner
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Mild 5.0
Transmission
Manual
Great build thus far! Im stil amazed at how "easily" the motor dropped in. So headers will be custom? and what are you doing far as steering?

ill deff keep track of this! keep up the good work man!:icon_thumby:

johnboy89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.6 DOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Great build thus far! Im stil amazed at how "easily" the motor dropped in. So headers will be custom? and what are you doing far as steering?

ill deff keep track of this! keep up the good work man!:icon_thumby:
The steering is done, I mention it in some earlier posts. I used what another member used for steering (sterring shaft from a 96 Crown Vic) which actually works out very well and was very cheap to do.

Headers I will start next, after I get the tranny in. Bought some 4.6 flanges off e-bay and some cheap used 302 headers to cut up.

So far I don't have a whole lot of money tied into it:D, the most coming from the intial cost of the truck. I was keeping track of it all, but kind of stopped awhile back.

johnboy89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.6 DOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Well I got the transmission in, test fitting it with a hollow case has really come in handy. I didn't realize though how little clearance I have from the top of the tranny to bottom of the shifter, about a 3/4 of an inch.

Hopefully I can get it started by the end of the month:D

[/IMG]

kttrucks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Very cool! We've started our 4.6 conversion as well. We'll keep y'all posted with progress, but we've got the truck torn apart and the new (marauder) engine/trans sitting in the frame... it looks cool sitting in between the fenders when you open the hood. :)

KT.

281Ranger

September STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.6 dohc
Transmission
Automatic
Looks great Johnboy! Don't forget the most important item when doing the wiring.....a big bottle of asprin. When you first fire that thing up don't forget to take a picture of that great big grin on your face.:D

bbrown4.0

Reaction score
in Maine when I am not at school in Texas.
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
the big bad 4.0
Transmission
Manual
If I went for a V8 swap it would most likely be this one. So I am subscribed. So far I like what I see. It has to help out a lot having a pretty much complete donor car. Good luck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals