• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0L sohc first gen build

dblD1968

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Well finally got around to working on my conversion again. I am using my original dash, I plan on going into more details on how I am doing this later but I'm beyond tired.

here are the specs: 1988 Ranger body and Frame
1991 ranger trans/transfer, axles, and engine harness
2001 explorer sports 4.0L sohc engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkG_v3QXG58

Last edited:

1996xlt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds good! Should work pretty well in your truck once you've got it sorted out.

The SOHC gets a bad rap for the timing chains (understandably) but IMHO its a good motor that makes decent power and likes to rev. If I remember correctly, the 5.0L only made 5-10 more hp (in the explorer.)

dblD1968

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks 1996xlt!

Well today was a huge success! started out running a little rough as seen in the video, changed a few things around sorted out a few problem. Easier said then done, but finally after a longgg days worth of work I finally got a code 111 from the scan tool she runs with no problem codes.:headbang:

Here is a video short video from tonight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NMV39Ta-Pc

All I can say after researching this swap for a couple years is it is super simple to do this swap and keep the stock dash if you know how to read wiring diagrams.

I guess the next step is pull the engine back out, and clean up all of the wiring. Then check over the engine. I also have a set of aluminum valve covers I plan on polishing for this engine. Then next is reinstall everything and get it road worthy!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals