• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0l & Np435 & 1356

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
I believe he meant M5OD-R2, not R6...This would have the same spline count as the ZF...
SVT

gfbgreaser289

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
turd
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
I believe he meant M5OD-R2, not R6...This would have the same spline count as the ZF...
SVT
yes sir you are correct, thank you.

Rulebreaker

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
My kit is for a 10 spline input. That being said that is easy enough to change.

Rulebreaker

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I'm wondering if you Ranger owners who have put a 435 in your truck, had to modify the exhaust any. Got a guy putting one in an 02 Ranger. Also at this point I'm down to my last clutch disc and my supplier is not making any more. So unless I can find another supplier I maybe unable to do this at the current pricing. This will force me to buy the entire clutch kit and throw all but the clutch disc out. So if you have plans of doing this now will be cheaper than later. RB

supersamikc

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i am putting it in my bronco ii right now, looks like i will have to re-do exhaust. my exhaust is currently ran on top of my radius arm cross member for the ttb and there isn't quite enough room by looking and measuring, i am ditching the ttb anyways but the exhaust is still the issue.

alwaystinkering

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 Ford Range
Transmission
Manual
I'm the guy that Rulebreaker mentioned who was putting a NP435 in a 2002 Ranger. I completed it and have started a thread on it. I'm also including pictures. This project was a lot more involved that I initially anticipated, but worked out well. In order to make it work, however, you have to build a bellhousing, lengthen your driveshaft, go with a 435/205 combo, then things will work out well. I'm going to try to show everything I've done to make it work, but it takes time to compile all this stuff, so bear with me.

I've managed to keep my stock exhaust and haven't had to modify it at all. The 205 transfer case has the front driveshaft input in the same location as the origional stock transfer case. I initially tried to go with a 208 since I read that some people were able to make it work. It didn't work in my case since the case was too big and even if I could have made it work, wouldn't have felt comfortable with the driveshaft being at an odd angle.

I had to move my OSS over to the 435 transmission and just finished documenting how I did that, so I hope you find it interesting. There are still a bunch of things I have to finish, for instance, the clutch tube needs to be fabbed up so it's a better routing. Right now it's just that plastic hose and kinda hillbilly tied up there, but I want to go hard line. My shifter is hideous, but I'm working on a way to use my stock shifter in the stock placement so nobody would even know I have this transmission in place. I want to have my stock cupholder in place because I NEED a place to set my coffee. I have to relocate my airbag computer, that kind of minor stuff. It only took me about a week to do from start to finish, so it wasn't that long of a project.

Anyway, here's the thread and hope you enjoy it.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1124184

farmer

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Mix of 78-96
Make / Model
Ford donors
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
357w
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
13ish
Tire Size
39.5x15.5
You selling anymore of these kits?

the mantis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
This is a Great Build thread. Was wanting to know if you had anymore kits? And how much it would be shipped to 37031. Thanks

Rulebreaker

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
This is a Great Build thread. Was wanting to know if you had anymore kits? And how much it would be shipped to 37031. Thanks
The kits are $305 East of the Mississippi or $315 West of the Mississippi. Shipped usps parcel post. Email me at rulebreaker@netonecom.net

dieseldane

Supporting Member
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
If it doesn't fit, force it!
I know you've had this done for a while, but due my lack of funds to build my truck, I have plenty of time to think about (or over-complicate :icon_confused:) the way I'm going to do my set up. I realize that the way you did it obviously works, but I've contemplated a couple other ways and wondered if you had thought about them and maybe why you didn't or wouldn't do them.

Option 1: Take the tk4 bell-housing, and cut the side that would mount to the trans down to the length of the 435 input, and fab up a new mounting plate and weld it to the bell-housing, pretty much just making a custom bell-housing that would bolt straight up to the 4.0 and 435, with no adapters. the problems I see with this would be whether or not a person had the capabilities to weld aluminum, and making clutch linkage/hydraulics work with this.

Option 2: Use a Dodge version of the np435, or the input shaft out of one. Novak states that the Ford input shaft sticks out 6 1/2 inches and has 10 splines, and the Dodge version sticks out 8 3/8 inches (1 7/8 inches longer), but has 23 splines. Could the Dodge shaft be cut and turned down the needed amount, and a clutch be found that could work with this setup? Or maybe the shaft turned down or re-splined to work with a ranger clutch? The bad part about doing all this is most of us lack the tools and equipment to do those things, and would have to have them done.

Having made a setup that does work, how feasible do you think these two options would be? :dunno:

Rulebreaker

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I'm assuming that you already have the Dodge tranny. If that be the case I might have a spare Ford input shaft I could send you on the cheap. Shoot me an email it's listed on this page. RB

dieseldane

Supporting Member
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I have the Ford version.

I got a 435 bell housing and set it on the bench next to my TK4 bell housing and to my disappointment the TK is longer by over an inch. I originally thought I could just bolt the TK housing to the 435.
What I was thinking, was that maybe if someone had a dodge version or at least the input shaft from one, it could be attempted to shorten and use it, and end up with something like you had originally considered.

Of course this is just speculation on my part, I don't have a dodge input shaft or a TK4/5 input shaft to compare to see if it could be done.

Rulebreaker

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I have the Ford version.

What I was thinking, was that maybe if someone had a dodge version or at least the input shaft from one, it could be attempted to shorten and use it, and end up with something like you had originally considered.

Of course this is just speculation on my part, I don't have a dodge input shaft or a TK4/5 input shaft to compare to see if it could be done.
I have a TK 4 so if you want to try this route I can get you dimensions. I would see if Dodge has a 10" disc to fit that spline count and then put an adapter between the bell and trans to make up the difference.

dieseldane

Supporting Member
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Yeah, if you could get the dimensions of how far it sticks out from the face of the trans, and the shaft diameter and dimensions where it would fit into the pilot bearing, that would be great. I'm hoping that if it worked this way that there wouldn't be a need for a custom pilot bearing, that you could use the stock 4.0 one.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals