• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0L engine swap have questions

stxranger86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I just got a free 1994 explorer. I need to know if there is going to be problems with my ranger being stick. I read the articles on how to do the swap from a 2.9 to 4.0 but the donor vehicle is an automatic. Will i have any problems with the computer? I want to keep my manual tranny. The auto tranny is bad in the explore. please help

CJREX

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have the auto ECU with my swapped in 4.0/5 speed combo.

Works great. And it seems to actually be peppier than stock 4.0/5 speed Rangers that I've driven.

One thing though, if your manual is the stock unit, it is likely the FM146.

You really need the M5OD behind the 4.0 torque.

The FM146 will fit but you'll need to be gentle or it will likely grenade.

To tell if it's the FM146, look at the bottom of the transmission.

If it has a removable pan similar to an automatic transmission, it's the FM146.

Also check the trans code on the door sticker. M5OD= Code M.

Good Luck and you will love it!

Last edited:

MrE_Powers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
not just any m50d.... one from a standard 4.0 or 2.3 as the bell housings do not match on other 3.0 transmissions

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
seeing that your truck is an 89...you most likly have the fm146 tranny like said above.....the 146 will hold up if you dont beat the snot out of it....

i basicly did the same swap that you are thinking of...but mine was a 90 and i was lucky to have the m50d......every thing was a plug and play.....but you will need to get a fly weel for a 4.0 and the clutch and pressure plate for a 4.0...were as the 2.9 fly wheel and clutch stuff is difrent.....and wile you are at it you might as well change the hydrolic slave cylender....

the y pipe from the 2.9 and 4.0 are the same...just make sure you use the o2 sensor for a 4.0....it has a longer wire...i ran into that problem

as for the ecu...you have to use an ecu from a manual 4.0....i did run my swap for a few weeks with the auto ecu.....ran like crap...once i put in the manual...ran fine

you will aslo need to do something with the wires that go to the auto tranny....you need to splice 2 of them togeather to get past the safty nutral switch

look at the auto to 5 speed swap in the tec library....give me a few days and i can tell you what color they are....

agian wile you swap this you need to take out all of the wires from under the hood from the donor and swap it to the new home...EVERY THING...makes it easer i think.....i have done the swap once and kind of helped out my cuzzin on a few other swaps....

the 4.0 will bolt up to a 2.9 tranny....

CJREX

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It HAS to be an M5OD from a 4.0 (most common) or a 2.9 (almost unicorn rare).

The transmissions from a 4 cylinder or 3.0 V6 will NOT FIT the 4.0 bolt pattern.

In addition to the things mentioned by Stegomon above, you will need the 4.0 fuel lines from the Explorer. Your '89 has different connectors.

As far as the clutch stuff, you also need the 4.0 dust shield that goes between the engine and transmission. The starter hole is too small on the 2.9 plate. You will need a 4.0 manual transmission starter.

As far as MUST have the manual ECU, YMMV. My auto ECU has been running great and will smoke my 33x12.50 tires. Great power!

And concerning the transmission wiring, I got a harness from a manual trans Mazda Navajo in the junkyard. Plugged right in and cost $5.

Last edited:

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
you want the metal floor plate and shifters/boot from the m5od donor truck as well.the sploder plate will bolt into a ranger

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
well my 90 ranger did have a m5od behind the 2.9.......so not to bad

stxranger86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Do i really have to change the clutch and the other parts with it? My clutch slave cylinder are new with only 100 miles. I was woundering if i can leave the tranny and parts till i can find the other tranny

Last edited:

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
the y pipe from the 2.9 and 4.0 are the same...just make sure you use the o2 sensor for a 4.0....it has a longer wire...i ran into that problem
Not a 93 or 94 4.0, they have 2 O2 sensors.

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
ah.....well my donor was a 91 sploder

the 2.9 i think is a 8 inch clutch and the 4.0 is a 10 inch.....with the 4.0,,you will burn the 2.9 clutch up....and also you will need a starter from a 5 speed 4.0....the auto starter is a tad diffrent....the bendix i think is to long

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
My clutch slave cylinder are new with only 100 miles. I was woundering if i can leave the tranny and parts till i can find the other tranny
the clutch slave is the same if you have the internal slave,but get a 4.0l flywheel clutch and manual starter

Not a 93 or 94 4.0, they have 2 O2 sensors.
isen't it 3? one on each bank and one after the cat

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals