• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 swap question

OldRedB2_84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Real soon when it warms up i am going to be finishing up my swap and i ran into a problem in my wiring. The donor vehicle is a 91 4 door explorer 4x4 auto, and the vehicle the engine is being swapped to is a 92 ranger 4x4 that was a 2.9 with a 5 speed. I used all of the engine bay wiring from the explorer and the dash. Inside the engine compartment on the drivers side there are 2 plugs coming up from the frame rail on the ranger that dont match up with the ones from the explorer engine bay wiring harness. What are these, what do they go to, and how can i splice them? One is a round black plug with 4 wires, and the other is a grey rectangular plug with about 10-12 wires.

Please help!!!!!:shout:

Thanks

OldRedB2_84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
C'mon, somebody has to know. I need to get this thang running.

nooberiffic

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I ran into a similar thing with a '90 ranger 5 speed with the donor a 93 ex 5 speed.

I dont have time to figure out the wiring diff that changed between (I think) 92 and 93, so I am looking for a pre 93 4.0 harness

OldRedB2_84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If its a pre 93 explorer harness its gonna be the same problem, mines a 91 harness into a ranger thats titled a 92 but was built in 91. Im not sure what to do.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Paging Dr. AllanD...

Paging Dr. AllanD...

OldRedB2_84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hahahaha, right? I was hoping he would post up some info.....

OldRedB2_84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Please, please, please somebody knows this or has some sort of input. I desperately need it.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Real soon when it warms up i am going to be finishing up my swap and i ran into a problem in my wiring. The donor vehicle is a 91 4 door explorer 4x4 auto, and the vehicle the engine is being swapped to is a 92 ranger 4x4 that was a 2.9 with a 5 speed. I used all of the engine bay wiring from the explorer and the dash. Inside the engine compartment on the drivers side there are 2 plugs coming up from the frame rail on the ranger that dont match up with the ones from the explorer engine bay wiring harness. What are these, what do they go to, and how can i splice them? One is a round black plug with 4 wires, and the other is a grey rectangular plug with about 10-12 wires.

Please help!!!!!:shout:

Thanks

Actually those wires should be on the Explorer harness as well as a ranger harness...

Those two connectors sound like the engine instrument/Cannister purge solenoid/transmission harness.

It's a harness that runs to the oil level & oil pressure sensors
as well as to the cannisterourge solenoid

They run off the lower lip of the plastic inner fender and
over to the engine

Without that harness the first thing that'll be wrong is that the starter won't crank.

That's because that harness has either a short jumper wire to bypass
the neutral safety switch that's built into the transmission OR a simply
jumper wire on the manual transmission version of the harness to bypass the switch that a manual trans truck simply wouldn't have.

AD

OldRedB2_84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well the plugs on the explorer harness are there but theres a grey rectangular plug on the ranger that has more wires in it than the plug from the explorer harness and they're also slightly different shapes. Theres also a round black one, but that one matches up with the explorer harness. What does the grey plug go to? I figured one was the fuel pump, where does the fuel pump plug into the engine bay harness?

Last edited:

OldRedB2_84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

OldRedB2_84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
:shok: Well i guess i'll have to tear all that wiring apart and go insane trying to figure it out, i've never been good at wiring. Any help would be awesome!! Hmmm.... Would it be possible to take the explorer wiring from in the frame and swap it too?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals