• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 swap need help

josh_lulu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Now
Transmission
Manual
I have a 86 ford ranger 4x4. It did have the good old 2.9, but it got tired so I swapped in a 1991 4.0 in. It is all hooked up to the tranny, new clutch, fuel lines..... everything except one part..... THIS IS THE PART I NEED HELP ON!!!! I need to know on the wiring that goes into the fuse panel. I want to keep the 86 dash if I can. So I need to know if anyone knows what wires need to be spliced or hooked together to get my project going. Please help me. The truck is a 86 and the engine is a 91 4.0. Please help again

Last edited:

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Its best if you swap the entire engine bay wiring harness from the donor, you will have a few wires to splice, as the connectors are not compatible. GEN 2 dash would make things a LOT simpler and easier, but a GEN 1 swap can be done. Grab both EVTM's and compare. This should get you started
SVT

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1987 with a 1993 4.0 and I did keep my original dash...

As you've just discovered bolting the engine in and hooking up the big stuff was the easy part

This is mostly to do with the very simple fact that the 4.0
was designed to go where a 2.9 had been.

However the wiring is completely different. particularly across the line
from a Gen1 to a Gen2

First You will need a relatively complete DONOR harness from a 1990-92 Ranger with a 4.0 engine

Start by removing the computer from the passenger side kick panel and shiving the connector out through the hole in the firewall (unseating the giant oval grommet can be "fun".)

Now install the 1991 harness on that hole and working with a razor blade or stanley knife start splitting the two harnesses apart up by where the wire "breaks out" for the passenger side marker light

You will need to do this to BOTH harnesses
work your way around and across the engine bay
until you get to the round firewall gromet where your 1986 harness goes inside the cab on the drivers side.

STOP THERE, you don't actually need to disturb
any of those smaller connectors, cut them off on the engine bay side of the connectors and splice them to wires that you will cut out of the round connector from the 4.0 harness.

there is one wire you will need to ADD and that is the one for the check engine light (when you get to that point I'll discuss it seperately)

There is no way to run a 4.0 off of an '86-88 harness
as it does not include the EDIS module for the ignition system (you'll need to mount this module to the radiator support near the battery)

The advice you have to get BOTH an '86 and a 1991 EVTM (or EVTM to match whatever 4.0 harness you end up with) but my strong advice is to stick to a 1990-92 harness and preferably one from a ranger.

IF you do not have a harness from the engine donor you are basically screwed at this point.... until you get a 4.0 harness.

To be honest I'm a trained electronics technician, used to building
one-off prototypes. and I was trained in the production side of
the aircraft and medical equipment industries.

Yet, with that training it still took WEEKS to get my truck wired
to the point where I was willing to start installing fuses and
powering the various systems one-by-one

What my training and experience allowed me to do was to get it all working essentially on the first try, I had ONE ground wire that was loose and not makign contact and that resulted in the fuel pump relay not turning on.

I still have one "glitch" my A/C systems WOT cutout relay doesn't operate correctly, oh it'll turn the A/C off, the problem is that it never turns it back on again, there is a power feedback somewhere in the circuit that creates
an output feedback to the relay coil that I've simply been too lazy to track down and eliminate. I havea jumper where the relay belongs and so if I want my A/C off when accelerating I must manually turn it off. BFD...

But even WITH another harness there is GOING to be splicing involved, quite a bit of splicing.

I need to phrase it strongly:
Without another harness from a 4.0 vehicle you might as
well quit now. (Call a wrecker and scrap it)

I'm not saying you can't make it work without a proper harness
I am saying there are connectors and components you simply don't have and they are things you cannot do without...

I'm saying that I wouldn't even TRY without another harness.

On my own project I had two pieces of stockade fence, and I used them to "hang" two harnesses that I was not using, one "un-cut" harness from another '87-88 Ranger and an uncut harness from another '93 Explorer.

So if I had a question related to missing to note something or couldn't identify something I had a "reference" harness for each.

The WIRING job took me 3 weeks.

I'm not talking part time, I'm talking 20-odd days where from sunrise to sunset in August I spend every day with the manuals my notes, testlamp, DMM, cutters, strippers, crimpers and a heat gun (I made all most of my splices with the shrinkable butt splices) and soldering iron....

And I'm not counting the days it rained (before I was ready to do wiring inside the cab) or days that I spent dong something else
(even if only throwing rocks at hornets nests to keep from going INSANE!)

But please note I was using a 1993 EXPLORER harness and
I was integrating that power distribution, a new audio system, power feed to communications radios, retrofitting cruise control AND adding dual fuel tanks to the truck... AND converting from 2wd to 4x4....

IT was not just another f'ing engine swap. :)

AD

Last edited:

jaymegriffiths

Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1987 with a 1993 4.0 and I did keep my original dash...

As you've just discovered bolting the engine in and hooking up the big stuff was the easy part

This is mostly to do with the very simple fact that the 4.0
was designed to go where a 2.9 had been.

However the wiring is completely different. particularly across the line
from a Gen1 to a Gen2

First You will need a relatively complete DONOR harness from a 1990-92 Ranger with a 4.0 engine

Start by removing the computer from the passenger side kick panel and shiving the connector out through the hole in the firewall (unseating the giant oval grommet can be "fun".)

Now install the 1991 harness on that hole and working with a razor blade or stanley knife start splitting the two harnesses apart up by where the wire "breaks out" for the passenger side marker light

You will need to do this to BOTH harnesses
work your way around and across the engine bay
until you get to the round firewall gromet where your 1986 harness goes inside the cab on the drivers side.

STOP THERE, you don't actually need to disturb
any of those smaller connectors, cut them off on the engine bay side of the connectors and splice them to wires that you will cut out of the round connector from the 4.0 harness.

there is one wire you will need to ADD and that is the one for the check engine light (when you get to that point I'll discuss it seperately)

There is no way to run a 4.0 off of an '86-88 harness
as it does not include the EDIS module for the ignition system (you'll need to mount this module to the radiator support near the battery)

The advice you have to get BOTH an '86 and a 1991 EVTM (or EVTM to match whatever 4.0 harness you end up with) but my strong advice is to stick to a 1990-92 harness and preferably one from a ranger.

IF you do not have a harness from the engine donor you are basically screwed at this point.... until you get a 4.0 harness.

To be honest I'm a trained electronics technician, used to building
one-off prototypes. and I was trained in the production side of
the aircraft and medical equipment industries.

Yet, with that training it still took WEEKS to get my truck wired
to the point where I was willing to start installing fuses and
powering the various systems one-by-one

What my training and experience allowed me to do was to get it all working essentially on the first try, I had ONE ground wire that was loose and not makign contact and that resulted in the fuel pump relay not turning on.

I still have one "glitch" my A/C systems WOT cutout relay doesn't operate correctly, oh it'll turn the A/C off, the problem is that it never turns it back on again, there is a power feedback somewhere in the circuit that creates
an output feedback to the relay coil that I've simply been too lazy to track down and eliminate. I havea jumper where the relay belongs and so if I want my A/C off when accelerating I must manually turn it off. BFD...

But even WITH another harness there is GOING to be splicing involved, quite a bit of splicing.

I need to phrase it strongly:
Without another harness from a 4.0 vehicle you might as
well quit now. (Call a wrecker and scrap it)

I'm not saying you can't make it work without a proper harness
I am saying there are connectors and components you simply don't have and they are things you cannot do without...

I'm saying that I wouldn't even TRY without another harness.

On my own project I had two pieces of stockade fence, and I used them to "hang" two harnesses that I was not using, one "un-cut" harness from another '87-88 Ranger and an uncut harness from another '93 Explorer.

So if I had a question related to missing to note something or couldn't identify something I had a "reference" harness for each.

The WIRING job took me 3 weeks.

I'm not talking part time, I'm talking 20-odd days where from sunrise to sunset in August I spend every day with the manuals my notes, testlamp, DMM, cutters, strippers, crimpers and a heat gun (I made all most of my splices with the shrinkable butt splices) and soldering iron....

And I'm not counting the days it rained (before I was ready to do wiring inside the cab) or days that I spent dong something else
(even if only throwing rocks at hornets nests to keep from going INSANE!)

But please note I was using a 1993 EXPLORER harness and
I was integrating that power distribution, a new audio system, power feed to communications radios, retrofitting cruise control AND adding dual fuel tanks to the truck... AND converting from 2wd to 4x4....

IT was not just another f'ing engine swap. :)

AD
this frustration sounds familiar.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals