• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 sohc feels low on power

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I put the whole bottle in right after I said that lol. I noticed while I was driving it that it would rev freely up to about 3k then suddenly stop pulling. This makes me think that it isn’t getting the fuel and air it needs. Any thoughts
One step at a time. If you do a bunch of stuff and throw the parts cannon at it, you won't figure out what the problem was and will have no idea what fixed it.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31”
One step at a time. If you do a bunch of stuff and throw the parts cannon at it, you won't figure out what the problem was and will have no idea what fixed it.
Fair enough. I started and listened to it with the hood open and heard a rattle/ ticking noise. Not real loud, but definitely there. I compared it with timing chain chatter on YouTube and it was much quieter.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Fair enough. I started and listened to it with the hood open and heard a rattle/ ticking noise. Not real loud, but definitely there. I compared it with timing chain chatter on YouTube and it was much quieter.
Just means it hasnt gotten bad yet though.

Unless the timing has slipped a tooth the chain/guide being loose shouldnt cause what youre describing but if you think thats an issue it needs to be addressed before it does grenade.

If its ok at low rpm but drops off up high id say its a fuel pump/filter or plugged cat.

Changing the filter is a good idea regardless but if that dont take care of it id diagnose it with a fuel pressure gauge and vacuum gauge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31”
Just means it hasnt gotten bad yet though.

Unless the timing has slipped a tooth the chain/guide being loose shouldnt cause what youre describing but if you think thats an issue it needs to be addressed before it does grenade.

If its ok at low rpm but drops off up high id say its a fuel pump/filter or plugged cat.

Changing the filter is a good idea regardless but if that dont take care of it id diagnose it with a fuel pressure gauge and vacuum gauge
I might do the timing tensioner change since I’ve read it’s not too difficult. I’m also gonna look into the fuel filter. Could it be the air filter restricting air flow?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I might do the timing tensioner change since I’ve read it’s not too difficult. I’m also gonna look into the fuel filter. Could it be the air filter restricting air flow?
Hold it up to a bright light. If you can see light through the filter, it's good. If you can't see any light, it's way over due being changed.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
.i have a weakness that i generally assume .... the very first thing one will do..... is pull and read the plugs and check the gap.....because it is free. if they are not obviously wasted maybe just pushing a 60- 70 or more gap...usually brushing em off with a brass wheel and a regap will let you know right away if that was the problem...as your power will be back...

you can put brand new cats and o2 sensors in it...and fawk them up in a handful of tanks of fuel with shitty plugs...

from there the trouble shooting starts.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31”
I haven’t found a solution to my problem yet. Tried to do the fuel filter yesterday but decided not to after I sprayed half a gallon of fuel on the floor while I was the only one home. I had followed the steps ( take out fuel pump relay and start the engine to clear the lines). I’m gonna try again when I have others around to help me. I’m also looking into getting new timing chain tensioners as I have 187,000 miles on the truck and I don’t think they have ever been done. After that the plan is to check out the entire fuel/ intake system, as I think there is a problem with it limiting engine rpm and power

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Installing new cam timing chain tensioners is a good idea but it is highly unlikely going to solve your low power problem.

The fuel filter can cause low power by restricting fuel flow.

I had a low power issue at around 225K miles that ended up being clogged cats. One of the precats started breaking up and plugged the front main cat. I suggest you do some diagnostics for restricted catalytic converters, if installing a new fuel filter doesn't solve your problem.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31”
Installing new cam timing chain tensioners is a good idea but it is highly unlikely going to solve your low power problem.

The fuel filter can cause low power by restricting fuel flow.

I had a low power issue at around 225K miles that ended up being clogged cats. One of the precats started breaking up and plugged the front main cat. I suggest you do some diagnostics for restricted catalytic converters, if installing a new fuel filter doesn't solve your problem.
[/QUOTE
Sorry, I wasn’t very clear in that last one I wrote. I don’t expect the timing chain tensioners to fix the problem of low power, but I would still like to do them as the truck has never had them done, and I can hear a slight rattle. hopefully I can get done before it’s too late. I don’t have to replace the timing guides. How do I diagnose a clogged cat?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
So the plugs were good and gap was on?

Kira

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Transmission
Automatic
6 weeks on.....
You check clogged exhaust / cats with a vacuum gauge.

Also, the fuel filter replacement instructions I read included having the tank near empty as fuel can siphon out.
When I pulled my fuel pump fuse, the engine died immediately.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31”
6 weeks on.....
You check clogged exhaust / cats with a vacuum gauge.

Also, the fuel filter replacement instructions I read included having the tank near empty as fuel can siphon out.
When I pulled my fuel pump fuse, the engine died immediately.
Thanks. It actually was a clogged exhaust. What happened was the 3rd cat broke apart for some reason, and all the little particles from #3 flowed down with the exhaust and clogged up #4. To fix it I had the 3rd cat replaced with a universal Magnaflow and the 4th cat was cut out and had a straight pipe put in, as there are not o2 sensors behind it so its not needed for emissions.

Kira

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Transmission
Automatic
I had the 3rd cat replaced with a universal Magnaflow and the 4th cat was cut out and had a straight pipe put in, as there are not o2 sensors behind it so its not needed for emissions.
Glad you got it fixed. You ain't from California; that's for sure.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31”
Glad you got it fixed. You ain't from California; that's for sure.
Yep. Don't get me wrong, Cali is beautiful, but the politics and policies aren't ideal. I live in eastern Washington so I don't have any emissions crap to deal with thankfully.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals