• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 OHV no power

mosher41

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 1996, 201
Transmission
Automatic
This thing is killing me:

New (motorcraft) plugs, new fuel filter, cleaned MAF, all compressions good, all spark good, plugs look lean, pressureizes cooling system very quickly, idles fine at 1000/1100. just no power at all... seems to rev up to about 2000 and then flattens out bad....motor seems to be hot but temp guage fine.

NO POWER and sounds flat when rev'd

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
The idle is rather high.

It should be idling at about 650-750. I would start looking for a vacuum leak.

My first guess is a disconnected vacuum line. Check the vacuum tree on the back of the intake for a missing/cracked cap on the free line on the tree. after that check the brake booster line at the elbow.

mosher41

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 1996, 201
Transmission
Automatic
vacuum line all seem good, no codes at all, and it does idle arounf 850

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If it isn't missing and you are able to open the throttle plate FULLY.. then we must look to the exhaust to see if all the exhaust can exit the pipes.. Is the muffler or the cat partially stopped up?
Big JIm

rockwerks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 mazda b400
Make / Model
1996 Jeep chero
Transmission
Automatic

New (motorcraft) plugs, new fuel filter, cleaned MAF, all compressions good, all spark good, plugs look lean, pressureizes cooling system very quickly, idles fine at 1000/1100. just no power at all... seems to rev up to about 2000 and then flattens out bad....motor seems to be hot but temp guage fine.

Go pick up a 30.00 ford code scanner from autozone, chekcer etc and see what it tells ya. it might be anything from clogged exhaust, or faulty fuel pump to bad motor internals

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
When checking the vacuum system don't forget to use the old tried and true method of the propane tank and wave it around all the vacuum lines.

Any propane will get sucked in via a leak and the engine will rev up in response. almost anything that burns and is in a aerosol will do this. you can also use the reverse and use something that doesn't burn and the engine will rev down instead.

redstangs9308gt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I spent alot of time chasing down a leak. My upper & lower intake gaskets was shrunk, hardned, cracked and JUNK! Replaced upper plenium gaskets, upper intake, lower intake gaskets and problem solved.

mosher41

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 1996, 201
Transmission
Automatic
it has exhaust coming out...rather steamy for a bit.. but then it clears, as it has done since i have bought it. the exhaust is quite hot to the feel coming out.

how do i check it for being partialy blocked with out cutting it apart...i do live in upstate ny...and everything under the truck is effected by salt.

It acts lean as hell, the motor feels and acts HOT...but temp reads right in the middle of normal.

i idled it for a bit in the garage without the radiator cap.....was doing fine, temp on the gauge right in the middle...and then an eruption from the radiator (new themostat) blew anti freeze 6 inches out of the filler and i'll bet 2 quarts hit the floor.

Again no codes, starts good, idles good....when asked for power NO WAY

mosher41

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 1996, 201
Transmission
Automatic
I am going after intake tomorrow morning

289-tiger-

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Why would I be looking at the MAF right now?

Good luck

98 ranger xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Check your oil, the way it spewed water out of the radiator suspects that you have a blown head gasket. or pull your thermostat out and make sure the spring side goes in the motor.

mosher41

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 1996, 201
Transmission
Automatic
PLUGGED CATS......still a little concerned with the water pressure... BUT i have all of the power back,

no water in the oil yet, it acts like the beginings of a head gasket or tiny crack.

This has been by far the WORST vehicle I have ever owned. It hasnt run 2 weeks straight yet with out some kind of issue.

arin.brinkley

Reaction score

mine is doing the same thing

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

AdirondackRanger

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I brake for leaves that could be frogs
i idled it for a bit in the garage without the radiator cap.....was doing fine, temp on the gauge right in the middle...and then an eruption from the radiator (new themostat) blew anti freeze 6 inches out of the filler and i'll bet 2 quarts hit the floor.

Again no codes, starts good, idles good....when asked for power NO WAY
Bad head gasket? Vapor lock in the cooling system? Bad water pump?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals