• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 bog in snow/rain

exotic_4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
hey guys! i got an 04 ranger 4.0 4x4 when driving in the snow or the rain, my truck will act like a miss fire,(split second miss fire) it will hesitate and i noticed on the tach when it does it my RPMS drop, its only off and on when it does it but still it shouldnt be doing it, its not throwing any codes. and you can definatley notice it when your driving, im almost wondering if my airfilter is picking up moisture and suching a lil water into my intake/motor...possible MAF problem??? what ya guys think?

Things done to my motor:
KB headers
true dual exhaust -1 cat
Resignated tips
KN cold air intake and K&N filter
accel plug wires
Tornado fuel saver
New plugs & oil
1'' throttle body spacer
truck had a new MAF sensor last year
Took out my jet performance chip in october

Last edited:

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hey guys! i got an 04 ranger 4.0 4x4 when driving in the snow or the rain, my truck will act like a miss fire,(split second miss fire) it will hesitate and i noticed on the tach when it does it my RPMS drop, its only off and on when it does it but still it shouldnt be doing it, its not throwing any codes. and you can definatley notice it when your driving, im almost wondering if my airfilter is picking up moisture and suching a lil water into my intake/motor...possible MAF problem??? what ya guys think?

Things done to my motor:
KB headers
true dual exhaust -1 cat
Resignated tips
KN cold air intake and K&N filter
accel plug wires
Tornado fuel saver
New plugs & oil
1'' throttle body spacer
truck had a new MAF sensor last year
Took out my jet performance chip in october
You did good in October! Now take all that other JUNK off of that fine Ford product and see how it runs as engineered!
Big JIm
:D

exotic_4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
hmmm...the truck runs just fine when there is not precipitation in the air (rain or snow) why do people come on here just to leave dumb remarks that have nothing to do with the initial post? because i have bolt on's on my motor doesnt mean it wont run. its all basic stuff, its not like i threw a supercharger or turbo on it.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
You mentioned you have a KN cold air....where is the filter mounted? In a place that water could get to it easily?

Do you have it oiled, or over oiled? Have you cleaned the MAF?

I would try the oe paper filter, see if it still does it.

And BigJim was just referring to the TB Spacer, Tornado and KN 'cold air' as those items wont help performance wise. :icon_thumby:

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I would check you ignition module. If it had a bad seal, moisture would get in and cause a miss.

This is something that plauged my dads truck for a winter.....evrytime it snowed.

As for the K&N, TB Spacer, and Toronado.....all junk. They cause more problems than they help.

exotic_4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
argh... incompitance

parson2008

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
mine used to do that i changed plugs and wires and its fine, not too mention the old ones were only 6 months old, stick with stock motorcraft brand

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
argh... incompitance
Incompitance?

Hmmm.....I offered my opinion. You choose not to listen. I know my experience. I know I've been trained.

The K&N air filters have a tendancy to gum up the MAF, TB, and IAC. This can lead to problems.

Moisture getting into the ignition module....like i said.

JULIUS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I had the exact same problem with my 04 Ranger last month.I cleaned the MAP sensor and it cleared the problem.

Skid Vicious

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
r
As for the K&N, TB Spacer, and Toronado.....all junk. They cause more problems than they help.
+1 I got the tornado, tracked my mileage and there was no difference whatsoever. And i've been tracking my mileage religiously for years. The tornado, the fitch fuel catalyst and generally anything that says "increased HP, increased fuel mileage" just by pouring it in is snake oil.
Don't be fooled.
edit- i DID return the tornado

Last edited:

93ranger420

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
who gives a shit what his bolt ons are, its a 2004, its pretty much brand new and shouldnt have any problems, putting that stuff in there isnt gonna do shit, it would have when he first installed it, no of that is electrical or causes any sort of vac leak, my 93 with almost 300k was missing and whatnot and it ended up being the spark plugs, couple had the insulation cracked, i think i had the wrench at a bad angle tightening them down, i found this out by waiting until its dark and watching as i reved up the engine, i could see the arch coming out. still a slight miss once and a while but hell runs great.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
FX4 Level II bogging in rain or snow

I have the same truck minus aftrmarket add-ons, & mine has exactly the same problem when temp/humidity is whatever it is when it's snowing. No problem in rainy weather. Been doing this since new & of course dealer could never find anything wrong back when I had some warranty. It is an intermittent hesitation when applying throttle or backing off throttle, when everything seems to shut down for a second & then picks up again with a thump. Reminds me of a couple of old VW beetles I had years ago that were prone to carb icing in exactly the same conditions. Drove home through a storm last night in 4wd most of the way on unplowed secondary roads & the damn thing drove me nuts.

napolron

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Holy crap I couldnt find anything about this on the internet when I searched i thought my mind was playing tricks on me, my '08 is doing this with almost 10k on the clock. I thought it was because of the 4x4 and 5 speed manual doing that occasional 'bucking' because my '04 ranger identical to this one only a 5 speed auto trans never even hinted at doing this.

I use to drive in the snow in 2wd and never had any issues until I went into 4wd and it would occasionally do it. Today I was driving on the highway in the snow and didnt need 4x4 and in 4th gear at around 2000rpm is was doing it quite a bit, so I guess its got nothing to do with the 4x4 although I was in 4x4 earlier in the morning. There is never an issue of it doing this in the rain 2 or 4wd, only snow, maybe its a cold weather thing?

The tach will jump and it feels like a miss for a split second. Its really irritating. Both my rangers were/are super reliable and Id really like to figure this out. Im not going to bother taking it into the dealer until I have a definate idea of what the problem could be. Because I doubt it will be snowing when I have time to take the truck in for work.

BTW both of my trucks were/are bone stock, the '04 that didnt have this problem had a k&n and that was it.

daveg

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
new member here and first post... yeah.... lol

I joined here because of this exact same problem with my FX4 that Ive had about a month now and I did not want to take it back to the dealers again for something else until I had something concrete to give them.

I only notice the miss-fire happening when I am in 4x4 and when its snowing. The best way I can describe it is like lifting your foot off the gas and then back on again, the rev counter drops and then comes back to where it was along with the drivetrain clunk.

I think I should lift the hood the next time this happens and look for some HV arcing. Probably should check the ignition module and the myriad of sensor connectors for signs of corrosion.

I'll get back to you if I find anything.

KCRacin'

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
I too have the problem and I do believe JULIUS has one answer. I changed plugs to Stock Platinums and it got worse. Cleaned the Ignition. No resolve. Ford dealer casts his usual Bring 'er on in an' we'll take a look see.... So I got some Sensor cleaner and BAM that took care of it. I have had this issue since about 30K on the clock... It now has 80 and it only does it when snowing or COLD high humidity.. It really irritates as I drive along and Wham Wham it sputtered. Thanks Julius this shows 2 point for the MAF sensor

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals