• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3rd Gen steering crossmember

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've been using this crossmember for a long time as a front tow point. Last weekend I got yanked a bit hard and it damn near ripped the crossmember off.

I haven't even taken it completely off to see what I've got to work with yet, but I thought I'd post up to see what other guys have done when they replaced this crossmember; mounting styles, bolt vs weld, etc.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Steering cross member?

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah. The one right in front of the pitman arm that protects your steering. Didn't know what else to call it.

Edit: A picture says a thousand words. This one (not my truck):

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
3.0,4.0OHV 2.9, 4.6DOHC, 4.0SOHC
A bolt is harder to break than a weld. do bolth and use grade 8 bolts or metric 10.8 and you will be good.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Ah that deal...pitman arm/steering box guard thingy. Most rangers don't even have them, but if you want it I'd just use from 1/2" grade 8 bolts and lock nuts.

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i cut mine off and made the bumper for protection...

always hated those things, i should have made my bar a little lower. as i built the bumper with stock steering on and now was a drop arm on it

Last edited:

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Get rid of it and put a front receiver hitch up there. Then you have something to pull from.

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
Perhaps it's time to use that fancy bender you have Bray....

Kill two birds with one stone, build a bumper and remedy that crossmember problem...

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know man.

I'll probably just remove it for now. I need to get the truck freshened up for winter since I won't be able to ride my bike much longer. I have evidence of a ball joint loosening up, I lost a TRE boot last weekend, and my ballistic trac bar joint needs rebuild (the poly split on it). My front tires are wearing incorrectly so I'll probably look into getting it re-aligned as well.

I was a bit ambitous with paying for tuition this year, I always try to pay as much as I can up front before taking out a loan, and I've gotta start watching my spending.

Time is becoming an issue as well. Senior project along with 500 level ME courses is kicking my ass. That doesn't mean that if I can come up with a decent design that I couldn't knock it out in a couple weekends though.

Last edited:

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i deffinantly know the feeling about bills.......interested to see what you come up with

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
My BII didn't have that crossmember, my Ranger does however.

I built one for my BII out of rect. tubing, it's bolted to the frame and doubles as a place to attach a towbar bracket as well.

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
I know man.

I'll probably just remove it for now. I need to get the truck freshened up for winter since I won't be able to ride my bike much longer. I have evidence of a ball joint loosening up, I lost a TRE boot last weekend, and my ballistic trac bar joint needs rebuild (the poly split on it). My front tires are wearing incorrectly so I'll probably look into getting it re-aligned as well.

I was a bit ambitous with paying for tuition this year, I always try to pay as much as I can up front before taking out a loan, and I've gotta start watching my spending.

Time is becoming an issue as well. Senior project along with 500 level ME courses is kicking my ass. That doesn't mean that if I can come up with a decent design that I couldn't knock it out in a couple weekends though.
Funny how life creeps up on you, eh? :thefinger:

How much time have you spent practicing with your bender? Think we could whip out a halfway decent cage in my truck this winter? :icon_thumby:

Bray D

2012 UA Ranger
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Funny how life creeps up on you, eh? :thefinger:
Yes. It sucks.

How much time have you spent practicing with your bender? Think we could whip out a halfway decent cage in my truck this winter? :icon_thumby:
I've made one bend. It was a good one though haha.

I think if I got an angle finder that mounts to the tube (for bend plane reference) I'll be set. It's already got a degree ring. I'm sure we can throw together a decent quality cage.

I've been thinking about this bumper deal, and I think I'm just gonna build what I want. I was going to try to appeal to the authorities by having a removable lower piece, but I don't think that's going to happen. Maybe after I get it built I'll think of a clever way to make something work, but I need to stop thinking and start building.

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Get a small tierod puller and weld a plate on one side and throw a regular 360 degree angle finder on it for keeping your plane.... Learned that trick from 97trailrigDD

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
Yes. It sucks.
I told you. :thefinger:

I've made one bend. It was a good one though haha.

I think if I got an angle finder that mounts to the tube (for bend plane reference) I'll be set. It's already got a degree ring. I'm sure we can throw together a decent quality cage.
Well, let me know. Depending on your available time, we could whip something together his winter maybe. If not, there's always next year. You know how big of a hurry I'm in to do that kind of thing.... I will start designing something though.

I've been thinking about this bumper deal, and I think I'm just gonna build what I want. I was going to try to appeal to the authorities by having a removable lower piece, but I don't think that's going to happen. Maybe after I get it built I'll think of a clever way to make something work, but I need to stop thinking and start building.
Oh, and QFT.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals