• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

351 W e4od in a 90 B2?

vDawG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco 2
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I am sure its a tight fit but with a 3" body lift how bad is it? Any build articles you guys know of would be super helpful. Thanks!

35Remmy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Why not a roller 5.0? Much less of a headache, and you can make 400HP on one doing nothing more than the heads, cam and intake!

I love 351W's but the 302 is just easier.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Why not a roller 5.0? Much less of a headache, and you can make 400HP on one doing nothing more than the heads, cam and intake!

I love 351W's but the 302 is just easier.
Anything you did to that 302 you can do to the 351W too... but has 1/2" more stroke to boot.

The 302 fits a lot better though. People have still done the 351W before though.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
e4od is a monster and puts the t case waaay back compared to an aod/4r70w.

the t case is a bitch as it is huge, i am trying to work out a different solution as i type to use a smaller more common manual shift case.

the 208 jeep case really simplifies things but is a mother to find. if you build the 351 you will kill most t cases except the huge ford ones and the gm 241 and later are stout as well.

all in all, some fox 351 swap shorties with some medium frame mods and drive train bias will get ya going down the road.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
I'm going to say the E4OD will be harder to fit than the 351. Thas a lot of transmission for little space...bodylift for sure or you will be cutting the floor. I would see you having trouble getting an exhaust to fit within the frame rails if its 4x4. Anything will fit with the proper tools, time and money.

Matt

Matt

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
e4od is a monster and puts the t case waaay back compared to an aod/4r70w.

the t case is a bitch as it is huge, i am trying to work out a different solution as i type to use a smaller more common manual shift case.

the 208 jeep case really simplifies things but is a mother to find. if you build the 351 you will kill most t cases except the huge ford ones and the gm 241 and later are stout as well.

all in all, some fox 351 swap shorties with some medium frame mods and drive train bias will get ya going down the road.
205 bolts up...just a notch needed on the tailshaft housing.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
205 bolts up...just a notch needed on the tailshaft housing.
i actually have a factory notch housing or two. but if you dont have the 1310 yoke it wants to hit the pan rail. the other unit is a longer ext housing and clears better.

i have put this trans in the rbv just not a b2 and a 3in bl is great and has no issues. it will fit with some bfh mods though. i used the 205 and 208f and j cases.

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i actually have a factory notch housing or two. but if you dont have the 1310 yoke it wants to hit the pan rail.
this is a problem i've had with the short tail housing c6 as well.

NotaFordMech

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I am sure its a tight fit but with a 3" body lift how bad is it? Any build articles you guys know of would be super helpful. Thanks!
Getting ready to do the exact same swap into my 87 Ranger. I know the Bronco 2 is shorter than my Ranger but you can make it fit. I'll let you know how my swap goes problems, tips, etc. Would like to know how yours goes too.

FatBoysRanger

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
It's Ford or Nothing
As a former Ford Transmission Tech I wouldn't waste the time and money on a E4OD UNLESS you have an abundance of cash stashed as those things will run $2grand plus to rebuild RIGHT and last for any amount of time.

I'd stay with a 4R70W or AOD yeah yeah I know AOD's are weak in STOCK form however I've built many of them for many different applications and when built RIGHT they will hold up to serious horsepower and torque engines.

Just my useless 2 cents on the use of E4OD's for anything other then a boat anchor..

As for using the 351W in a B2 or RBV its really not that bad as long as your doing a 3in body lift that should give you all the clearance you need.

I've done both 302 and 351 swaps as well as 429/460 swaps in B2s and RBV's my preference would be stoutly built 302/5.0 swap now just easier to me after years of playing with B2s and RBV's

So with that I'll go off and dream about what I want to do with my 03 Ranger its a whole different animal from the 1st Gen Rangers I played with

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals