• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

350cfm holley?

SNAFUHK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2.8l with a holly 500 on it and I'm runing duraspark,hedman headers and I have no cat or EGR on it. and it works well the 350 holly will not need any mod's to dolt on I'll get a pix of it soon as i can to show what it looks like

jester77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Bought all the duraspark stuff off of the duraspark conversion page. Next step is to buy the holley 350- probably next payday- going to get one with the electric choke kit.

I was wondering the statement says remove all the wires except.... That ugly coffee can and smog pump.... I know this is probably easier than I am making it out. BUT Sure makes a man nervous to start this. I have been wrenching on cars my entire 44 years, but I am used to a 69 bronco not this newer stuff. Just seems so simple but if I screw it up.....

Any new photos I can go off of??

OilPatch197

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/87
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
thanks a bunch!picture is worth a thousand words.thats exactly what i had in mind.engine looks kinda naked there.
Hey Tony, Where and what are the specs on those extra long spark plug cables!?:dunno:

[edit] and looking at my catalogs, the (#61) jet does not come in the jet kits holley offers, you have to buy them individually, Jegs catalog offers #40-100 for Holley main jets.

Last edited:

OilPatch197

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/87
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
BUMP, HEY TONY YA AROUND?:clapping:

Tony Raine

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sorry, not around here much. spark plug wires are just a universal set. too lazy to cut them down, but it does make it easier to take off the dist. cap when it gets wet. next set will be cut down, though.

and in the pics i posted, there are still plenty of wires that can be removed. i haven't removed the egr valve yet because i am waiting to find a good chunk of scrap steel to make a block-off plate. i'm not very good at wiring, so i have been taking my time on that.

the holley came with 61 jets from the factory. i had to buy individual sets to get the right mix. too bad those sets in the magazines don't have the smaller sizes, i think mine are 58 or 59.

Tweeder

Reaction score
i had a side-hung Holley 350 on a 2.8L with #53 jets. WAY too damn much carb for that little engine. never once ran right. FWIW, that carb was a stock application on a 302 back in 78. next thing i'm gonna put on it is the Holley 390 4bbl on an Offy manifold. should play a lot nicer at lower revs

Tony Raine

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i don't know what a "side hung" carb is, but it sounds like you were running it too lean with 53's. mine runs excellent, and its not a difference in location, because it runs great here in jonesboro. back when i lived in hartman, i even drove it to russelville, which is where you live isn't it tweeder?

Tweeder

Reaction score
side-hung = the pivot for the float is off to the side. as opposed to a center-hung

nope, with #53s it ran rich....to the point that it would become a flame-thrower. you really had to wind it up high to get enough air through the venturi to properly atomize the fuel. when that BII got retired, the 350 went on top of a otherwise stock 302 with the "stock" 61 jets.....works great there and goes like a raped ape clear to redline without showing signs of slacking off.

from that right there tells me i'd want a carb with much smaller primarys on a 2.8L

ps...i live in Cabot, now.

trents

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 Durasparked, Stage 1 RV cam, block "0" decked, 350cfm Motorcraft 2150
Transmission
Manual
"i haven't removed the egr valve yet because i am waiting to find a good chunk of scrap steel to make a block-off plate."

You can also plug the holes with JB Weld. Stick a cotton ball in the holes first so the JB Weld doesn't run out the back and then after you fill in front of the cotton balls point the snout up in the air until the JB weld sets up.

Tony Raine

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
found some 1/4". traced the gasket onto it with a dremel (easier to see than a marker). drilled out the holes, and cut it out with a 18V dewalt sawzall, and ground the rest on a bench grinder. finished it off with some hi-temp paint (not in pics).

ps...i live in Cabot, now.
cool, i'll have to give you a yell next time i'm passing through. still got the b2?

Last edited:

jester77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
does putting the blockoff plate change anything with the vacuum? I read on another forum (BII.org) that you need to put a different space under the carb ot elimate vacuum leaks?? or a couple gaskets out of some kind of t-bird??

Tony Raine

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
block off plate doesn't change anything as far as vacuum. the carb spacer is different. i have the right one, just can't remember the part number at the moment. its for a 3.8 t-bird, though.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
block off plate doesn't change anything as far as vacuum. the carb spacer is different. i have the right one, just can't remember the part number at the moment. its for a 3.8 t-bird, though.
Are the throttle bores too small with the stock one? In an attempt to put a Motorcraft 2100 carb on my 2.8 I discovered that the holes are two small. Nobody stocks 2bbl spacers anymore so after 4 hours at the drill press with a rotory file I discovered that the carb was too big to work anyway.

Eric Kropp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I hear Weber makes a bolt on carb for these to with good results. Kind of pricey though.

Eric

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I hear Weber makes a bolt on carb for these to with good results. Kind of pricey though.

Eric
I only tried the 2100 because it came with my 289, and I will be running it on there for awhile once I get it put in. My brother was itching to rebuild it so I let him and just tried it on the 2.8 for grins. It did go down the road better than it ever has, but wouldn't idle for a darn. A new/factory rebuilt carb is way out of my league for this engine, it just isn't worth it for an engine that is almost shot and on its way to a well deserved retirement.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals