• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

300+hp?

BlueLighting1999

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
This summer i will be starting my eninge part of the project and im going to start from scrach with a 3.0. Even with stroker,headers,performance camshafts,turbo or twin turbo is it even possible to get a 3.0 to 300 or more horsepower???? :icon_welder:
And if it is can you guys give me a list of things it would take to get to 300 HP Because im going to start and save up money after this pay check. I will do a 4.0 but im trying not to drop a 302 into it....

Last edited:

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
wow alot of money when you could have a v8 and make way more than 300 hp

BlueLighting1999

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
wow alot of money when you could have a v8 and make way more than 300 hp
But a V8 swap is alot more of work then rebuilding a 3.0 and adding a supercharger, 1.7.1 rockers, headers, ect. But then again i will be going 4x4ing and im not 100 percent sure if spending 4000 on a supercharger would be a good idea at all...
:bawling:

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
dude just get a 351w and build that bitch n/a and you will make over 400 hp for around 3k

BlueLighting1999

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
dude just get a 351w and build that bitch n/a and you will make over 400 hp for around 3k
Alright man but Thats what i dont wanna do because then i have to get all new wires and get extra suspention if the front because a 3.0 vs. 351w is alot of weight!:icon_rofl:

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
Building a 300 horse 3.0L V6 isn't just throwing parts together. You'll need finely balanced premium parts installed in a well machined block. You'll have more money in that V6 then you will with a V8. Not to mention, forced induction creates higher cylinder pressure. 300 supercharged horsepower might just split the block.

I know, you're thinking "I'll need a different transmission ect with a V8...) But even an M5OD is only going to last so long when 300hp is applied to it. And your axles!? Well, if you've got a 7.5" rear and larger than stock tires you'll want to look at an 8.8".

If you have patience, mechanical skill, cash, and an extra vehicle then I would steer you toward a 5.0L swap. If you do not... I suggest scrapping both the V8 idea AND the 300hp 3.0L.

BlueLighting1999

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Building a 300 horse 3.0L V6 isn't just throwing parts together. You'll need finely balanced premium parts installed in a well machined block. You'll have more money in that V6 then you will with a V8. Not to mention, forced induction creates higher cylinder pressure. 300 supercharged horsepower might just split the block.

I know, you're thinking "I'll need a different transmission ect with a V8...) But even an M5OD is only going to last so long when 300hp is applied to it. And your axles!? Well, if you've got a 7.5" rear and larger than stock tires you'll want to look at an 8.8".

If you have patience, mechanical skill, cash, and an extra vehicle then I would steer you toward a 5.0L swap. If you do not... I suggest scrapping both the V8 idea AND the 300hp 3.0L.
Dam man!!! I forgot to think of those other things.... Hmm... Would this help me tow, have more "offroading" power, and speed. If i changed my gears from stock to a 4.56 when i get 33" tires? Or maby 4.88. Because i guess thats what i really need is more power not like a 300HP engine to show off. i have 8.8" axles for your information(not being a a-hole just saying)

Last edited:

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yes. Just regear the truck and call it a day.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Blue there are no parts in your ride that will withstand 300hp. Everything in/on that ride is built for the horses it came with. If you install a 4.0, a V-8 or build up your 3.0 to it's maximum, you will need all new tranny and all other parts to accomodate the new horsepower.
Change the gearing to match the tires and that is about all you can do without spending many thousands of dollars and many weeks or months putting it all together.
The high horsepower rigs you see offroad have cost lots of time and lots of money.
Big JIm

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think Tom Morana claims the fully built stroker motor he sells with boost can be up around 325-375hp, but that would cost $6000-$7000 grand easily. If you want to do the 3.0, then by all means go ahead. I think it would be pretty sweet to see, and way more unique than a v8 swap. Like some others have said, be prepared to switch out other parts as well though. I suspect a 300hp 3.0 would go through a stock drivetrain pretty fast.

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
6-7k to get 350 hp wow imagine the v8 you could build for that.

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
Dam man!!! I forgot to think of those other things.... Hmm... Would this help me tow, have more "offroading" power, and speed. If i changed my gears from stock to a 4.56 when i get 33" tires? Or maby 4.88. Because i guess thats what i really need is more power not like a 300HP engine to show off. i have 8.8" axles for your information(not being a a-hole just saying)
The 3.0L likes to rev, and its reliable at an elevated rpm range. A steeper gear will quicken up your truck and suit your off-road adventures. The 8.8" axle gives you more options as far as lockers, limited slips, ect... if your goal is to offroad with your buddies then investing in a quality differential will give you an advantage. Look into an SCT tuner that is familiar with Rangers. They can write your truck a new program for more torque or power.

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
6-7k to get 350 hp wow imagine the v8 you could build for that.
And imagine what that would do to a Ranger platform! :icon_rofl:

Downey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals