• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 custom build. need ideas.

RideFord94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So i just finished tearing down my original 3.0 that had a mysterious valve problem. I have a fairly reliable motor in my dd now so I want more power in the years to come. I have a 190,000 mile set of heads and a block to do whatever I want with as long as they don't have any cracking. A professional port and polish and mild street cam is going to be in the picture along with supporting mods (valvesprings, valve seats...what else? Custom valves?) Anybody ever dealt with a custom (not Morana stroker) bottom end setup? compression ratio increases? I plan on doing a ton of research in addition to what I've already learned. I may pay for better materials seeing as I have a yearn for boost...

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Porting the heads and intakes is basically a must. A big problem I noticed when working on my heads, was that the valves are pretty shrouded in the combustion chamber. Doing some work to De-shroud the valves will help things breathe, but it will also decrease your compression ratio. Larger valves would be nice, but there's not a lot of room to go bigger. Maybe a mm on each valve. That's going to make the shrouding problem worse too. For the combustion chambers, I'd just focus on getting them as smooth as possible. The 3.0 loves to ping, and if you can eliminate roughness in the chamber, it will reduce the likelihood of pinging a bunch.

I have no experience with any custom bottom end parts. If you're planning on boosting, it seems like the rod bolts like to give out between 17-20 psi, so I'd definitely look for rods with larger, stronger rod bolts. Balancing the rotating assembly is money well spent.

RideFord94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Porting the heads and intakes is basically a must. A big problem I noticed when working on my heads, was that the valves are pretty shrouded in the combustion chamber. Doing some work to De-shroud the valves will help things breathe, but it will also decrease your compression ratio. Larger valves would be nice, but there's not a lot of room to go bigger. Maybe a mm on each valve. That's going to make the shrouding problem worse too. For the combustion chambers, I'd just focus on getting them as smooth as possible. The 3.0 loves to ping, and if you can eliminate roughness in the chamber, it will reduce the likelihood of pinging a bunch.

I have no experience with any custom bottom end parts. If you're planning on boosting, it seems like the rod bolts like to give out between 17-20 psi, so I'd definitely look for rods with larger, stronger rod bolts. Balancing the rotating assembly is money well spent.
Yea I pretty much have it all planned out. Thanks for the info on porting. I might just have to go with a stroker kit and be happy lol. Any tips on raising compression? I thought about taking some material off the deck of the block? Any ideas?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You dont want to raise compression if your thinking about adding boost

JP02XLT

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Seems to me like shaving the heads down would require fewer changes than shaving the deck of the engine block. Either way, if you go more than a few thousandths, it can affect your valve train geometry. You'd have to do custom length pushrods or something to make everything fit like it should.

Also, there's tons of clearance between the pistons and valves. I had over .25 inches of clearance with my 1.8 roller rockers. You should be able to increase valve lift until the cows come home as long as you have valve springs that can keep up.

I wouldn't worry to much about a stroker kit unless it's just something you have to have. Boost will get you better numbers for less money than a crazy, custom NA build, and it would be more streetable too. Just my 2 cents. Like JP said, if boost is in the plans, no reason to raise the compression.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals