• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 Crank no start after sitting

Tally99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hello all,

I had to leave my 2000 ranger with the 3.0 sitting for about 3 months due to work. Since doing that, she does not want to start. I initially thought it was a battery issue, since I've had battery problems in the past, but even with a new battery, she cranks without starting. I bought a spark plug test light, and I know I've got spark. She started once or twice after putting a new battery in, but the engine died after I shifted into gear (I installed a new idle air control valve to try to sort out a rough idle, and it's the kind you can tune. I started her up, drove around for a while, shut it off cause it was idling way too high, tuned it down, then started her up again to try to get things running better), and it will not start again. As mentioned above, it definitely cranks, and it definitely gets spark. On top of that, I pushed in the fuel rail Schrader valve with a key, and got a little squirt of gasoline, and I hear the fuel pump kick on every time I turn the key to 'run' before starting.

Since I have spark, and I know I have air and correct timing as well since it has started previously, this makes me think it's a fuel problem. I haven't hooked up a pressure tester to the test valve, but I plan on trying to borrow one to do so. Any idea what pressure I should have at the rail? It's a flex fuel 3.0, if that makes a difference.

Assuming I have good fuel pressure, are there any easy ways to test the injectors? If I've gotta pull the intake manifold, I figure I might as well replace them due to age/mileage/not getting very good power or gas mileage before this started happening.

Is there anything else I should check?

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
should be about 40 PSI fuel pressure. that's more than a "little squirt"
on a 2000 the fuel pressure regulator is inside the fuel filter.

if you test the fuel pressure with a tire gauge gas will get into the gauge. that's not a good thing.

Tally99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
should be about 40 PSI fuel pressure. that's more than a "little squirt"
on a 2000 the fuel pressure regulator is inside the fuel filter.

if you test the fuel pressure with a tire gauge gas will get into the gauge. that's not a good thing.
Gotcha. Looks like I'll try to borrow a set from o'reillys tomorrow. To test the pressure, do I need to have the pump running? or can I just cycle the ignition a couple times and check?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals