• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2wd vs 4wd "transmission"

khast2010

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
Okay so I know that a 2wd vehicle and a 4wd vehicle can have identical tranmissions, except for the output shaft, at least, and at most they have to have a different output shaft AND tail housing. I have a '05 ranger XL 2wd 2.3L and I am not sure what transmission I have in it. Also I am contemplating a 4wd conversion and I cant figure out what I will need to do in order to use my "2wd" transmission with a transfer case. Yes i know it would be easier with an already 4wd tranmission/transfer case setup but that costs $$$$$ which college is already stealing :eek:.

Thanks for any help guys :thumbsup:

bcost882

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000, 2011
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L, 1.6L
Transmission
Manual
there was a dude on here that did a 2wd to 4wd conversion on his truck. Since you have an XL and not the edge package I wouldnt even think about it. the edge truck is pretty much a 4wd but with the front axle not installed so it is a bolt-in and play for the most part. You have coil springs so you would have to change crossmembers and i even believe the frame will be a PITA. that is if you just want the stock ranger 4wd. if you go SAS then go for it you can swap the mainshafts in the tranny it just requires tearing down the whole thing and i think a couple other parts need change including the tailhousing. I can't seem to find the thread where the dude changed the 4x2 tranny to a 4x4 one. anyhow have fun and good luck

Stxrangerbumper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2009 / 1993
Make / Model
B2300 / f250HD
Engine Size
v6 3.0L/ 7.3L
Transmission
Manual
I have the solution of the century you buy a 4x4 mud / snow truck and a daily driver 2wd

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
I have the solution of the century you buy a 4x4 mud / snow truck and a daily driver 2wd
Maybe he doesn't want a huge 4x4 mud/snow truck? Also having to pay for 2 vehicles insurance is a lot harder. Not everyone here can afford purpose vehicles for every occasion.

And this way he get's a nifty package that for whatever reason, Ford never offered (edit: for those years), a 4cyl 4wd truck.

The IFS is a tricky deal. Yes, the Edge models are easier because it's 4wd stuff without the actual 4wd (if that makes sense).

If you really still want it, your best bet on IFS trucks is the Jeep Dana 30 and do a solid axle swap. Plenty strong for anything a 4 banger can deal out. You'll likely inevitably end up with some degree of lift, but if your careful you can still keep her pretty reasonable. And in those cases you can get away stock used parts from other vehicles too. Then after it's set, adjust the rear springs/shackles to match.

Otherwise, is your truck an automatic or a stick? That'll narrow down the transmission options.

I've got everything ready to go for putting the t-case in mine. Just need to finish the u-joints in the new rear driveshaft and get her balanced. I'm running just the transfer case for now. I've decided I need a trailer before converting the front end to 4x4.

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
exaclty.
a D30 sas is the best option to convert a 2wd into a mild 4wd truck.

i think a divorced t-case setup would work, since its a 4 banger i assume u wont go with big tires, so u would keep the stock 7.5 axle in the back.

khast2010

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, a d30 is my liking... cheap and relatively easy to work with. I have contemplated a divorced transfer case as well. Just seems so much easier and cheaper than the other options I am faced with (Buying and swapping a new tranny, tearing mine down to change the output/housing, paying the money for someone else to do it)

I believe a manual divorced transfer case (1350 / 1354 ?), a dana 30 with a leaf spring setup, and 32's would suit a 4 banger quite well. Only 65,000 miles on my truck also, so it shouldnt be dying on me anytime soon :icon_thumby:

thanks for your help guys

Ruger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
What divorced transfer case are you guys using and were are you going to get them?

khast2010

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
I will look for a 1350, most likely from a junkyard or craigslist. I have been impressed with the things you can find on there if you just look around

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
no such thing as a divorced 1350 guys, or 1354...... i got a ford divorced np205 for sale in jersey if anyone is interested in it lol

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
i think coil spring would be better, it would give a better ride on street, its a bit more wokr, but its better imo.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals