• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2wd to 4wd

Baja_XJ

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I bought a 84 2wd Ranger. It has a 5 speed manual in it. I bought a jegs 12point cage for it. Once I get it on I am going to hang only the exterior panels on it such as riveting on the fenders and besides and using the whole cab but fabing a sheetmetal floor. I am going to use the F150 coils and axle and 4 link a Dana 44 up front and for now build a 4" rear lift shackle with a 9" most likely. Im building it low with that some 4" lift and since there will be no inner fenders or anything resticting futher fender trimming I would like to run either 35s or 37s. My question the I cant find any information on is what transfer case do I use? Can it be used in a doubler setup? And Will the 2wd tranny be the same as the 4wd tranny if I strip it of its tailhouseing? Thanks alot for your input

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You know.. it would be a hell of alot easier, and possibly cheaper, to buy a 4x4 ranger.

Baja_XJ

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Well no not really because I want it solid axle so I would have to redo the steering and driveshaft and axle mounting anyway so all I would be out of a 4x4 compared to a 2wd would be the transfer case. I dont want TTB. Junk compared to a solid axle Dana 44 which will be alot more capable offroad

Baja_XJ

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I went and picked up a dana 44 from my local junk yard loaded with a 4:56 gear and for junk 50 bucks and Ive got it on jackstands setting under with all the old 2wd suspension out. Plan on running shortened 104" wheelbase with 37s. Got steel for arms ordered from PSC and should be here this week.

Baja_XJ

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Dang you guys are a LOT of help now arnt ya

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Your ungrateful and complain too much. Give it time. Some posts take a day or so to catch on.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
SAS in a 2wd truck is a great option. better than ripping apart a good 4x4 in my opinion. you will need a 4wd transmission as well as a bw1350 or 1354. the transmission you need will depend on what engine you have but i would be looking for a m5od without a doubt. you may be able to find a donor truck to get a trans ans t-case from the same vehicle. you also may want to think about an engine swap while youre in there

Baja_XJ

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I figured with it being so light I wouldnt really need a engine swap if I doulbe cases and gear the axles properly. All its going to be is the ranger frame with a 12 point cage with the bedsides and fenders riveted to the cage, hood pined to the cage, and a cab shell with sheetmetal floor. Cant be alot of wieght there. My guess is around 1500lbs. Its pretty much going to be a low budget buggy. Ive quoted everything need except the shocks, 4Link tubing, and steering tubing at my junkyard for 250 bucks. Cage is 280. About 300 for suspension tubing and another 300 for shocks and Its done

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I figured with it being so light I wouldnt really need a engine swap if I doulbe cases and gear the axles properly. All its going to be is the ranger frame with a 12 point cage with the bedsides and fenders riveted to the cage, hood pined to the cage, and a cab shell with sheetmetal floor. Cant be alot of wieght there. My guess is around 1500lbs. Its pretty much going to be a low budget buggy. Ive quoted everything need except the shocks, 4Link tubing, and steering tubing at my junkyard for 250 bucks. Cage is 280. About 300 for suspension tubing and another 300 for shocks and Its done
i would guess more like 2000 to 2500 lbs, but you may be right. its a regular cab, right? is it a short bed or long bed? i would bob the frame right behind the shackles. you said no inner bed or bed floor? what engine do you have in it right now?

Baja_XJ

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Yea Im not sure on weight either. But it is a regular cab, with a short bed. All it is going to be is the panels riveted onto the cage. No body supports or anything like that. I do plan on dovetailing both the front and the rear to the frame rails. Thoughts of shortening wheelbase from 107 down to around 101-104 are floating through my head but I think I am going to leave the rear leaf sprung for now to keep it cheap but I dont want to go leafed front. The way it sits it has a 2.0 block with 2.3 head, intake, and exhaust.

Baja_XJ

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Im completly new to the Ranger part of the 4wd community. All I know is jeeps so sorry for all these dumb questions. Does the M50D bolt to a 2.3? Ive been searching online and it says they come in some 2wd cars? So How do I bolt on the BW1350? And Also I read where there is a R1 version, a R1HD being a heavy duty R1, and a R2 which is even stronger but comes on 5.0s and I6s so does any M5OD work or whats the ones that do?

Last edited:

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Im completly new to the Ranger part of the 4wd community. All I know is jeeps so sorry for all these dumb questions. Does the M50D bolt to a 2.3? Ive been searching online and it says they come in some 2wd cars? So How do I bolt on the BW1350? And Also I read where there is a R1 version, a R1HD being a heavy duty R1, and a R2 which is even stronger but comes on 5.0s and I6s so does any M5OD work or whats the ones that do?
as long as the 2.0 shares the same bell housing pattern as the 2.3 (i dont know 4 bangers...) go find a 2.3 4x4 truck. they are around but not a ton of them out there that i know of. pull your transmission from that. look in the tech library to find out what year to get to make sure you have the m5od. you may want to think about getting the t-case from the same truck if its the t-case you are looking for.

Baja_XJ

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Will a BW 1350 or 1354 bolt to a transmission fom a 2.3? and the 2.0 and 2.3 is the same block.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Will a BW 1350 or 1354 bolt to a transmission fom a 2.3? and the 2.0 and 2.3 is the same block.
as long as a 1350 or a 1354 came off the transmission. they are both interchangeable and as far as i know the only t-case ever used in an RBV

Baja_XJ

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Well haha I may not know much about Rangers but I can figure out that if it can off the transmission that it will work on it haha. Ive got it drawn up on CAD and I can cut 22" off the bed and I either need to bring the rear axle 6" forward which I dont want to do or I need to extend the wheelbase 6" which is quite a bit so I think Im spliting it up and bringing the back axle 2" forward and extending the front forward 2" and I will have 2" overhang past the front tires if I run 37s.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals