• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2wd lift with a 2.5L

Joseph61189

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So Im getting bored with my truck and Im looking to use my taxes to invest into my truck. I was looking into lifting my truck, but I was worried how it would affect acceleration. Is there anything else I should be concerned about?

3.0ranger1227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
wear on parts. the lift won't necessarily do this, but the inevitable big tires are hard on:
steering
Ball joints
wheel bearings

Also the slowdown in acceleration is caused by greater size and inertia of the tires.

Joseph61189

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
wear on parts. the lift won't necessarily do this, but the inevitable big tires are hard on:
steering
Ball joints
wheel bearings

Also the slowdown in acceleration is caused by greater size and inertia of the tires.
Thanks for that. I just replaced the ball joints in Oct. so those should be ok. I was looking into the 3in Fabtech Spindle System and most likely 31in tires, but just wanted to make sure before I make the investment in the kit, tires and rims.

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
if u want it to drive as close to stock as possible regear it.
the cheapier way is to get an axle with atleast 4.10 gears from a junk yard(if yours doesnt come with them from factory) or invest more and get deeper gearing.

Joseph61189

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
if u want it to drive as close to stock as possible regear it.
the cheapier way is to get an axle with atleast 4.10 gears from a junk yard(if yours doesnt come with them from factory) or invest more and get deeper gearing.
Yeah it came stock with 4.10 gears. I was told the reason behind that was because it is an automatic with a 2.5L. So my question to you is, since it has 4.10 gears already, should I even bother with re-gearing when I purchase the lift?

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
well mine is turning 31"s and i just got 4.10 gears. it feels really good to me. good power and all. but keep im mind mine is a 5spd manual.
id say lift it and get the tires. and drive it like that for a while. then make the decision on gears. maybe its still good for u and u wont have to spend on gears

Joseph61189

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
well mine is turning 31"s and i just got 4.10 gears. it feels really good to me. good power and all. but keep im mind mine is a 5spd manual.
id say lift it and get the tires. and drive it like that for a while. then make the decision on gears. maybe its still good for u and u wont have to spend on gears
What would I re-gear it to since I already have 4.10?

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
well 4.56 is the next ratio available at stores.
but tjat will require you to take it to a specialized shop, and thats a lot of $$
so id suggest u to get a couple 31"s mounted on the rear and test drive it like that. they will fit without any rubbing.

drive it and see how u like it. maybe ull find it good and wont need an expensive regearing

Joseph61189

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
well 4.56 is the next ratio available at stores.
but tjat will require you to take it to a specialized shop, and thats a lot of $$
so id suggest u to get a couple 31"s mounted on the rear and test drive it like that. they will fit without any rubbing.

drive it and see how u like it. maybe ull find it good and wont need an expensive regearing
Will do. Got a couple of plans in the works so we will see what falls into place. Thanks for the help.

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
good. and if u got any questions just ask:icon_thumby:

ohh and dont forget pics :D

greenpus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah it came stock with 4.10 gears. I was told the reason behind that was because it is an automatic with a 2.5L. So my question to you is, since it has 4.10 gears already, should I even bother with re-gearing when I purchase the lift?
I put 31's on mine and it's got 4.10. Gas mileage dropped 4 mile per gallon. I didn't noticed too much loss in power. Since I can no longer get 12.5 inch tires in 31's, I will be installing 33x12.5's and getting 4.56 or 5.13 for the rear gearing.

Last edited:

Joseph61189

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I put 31's on mine and it's got 4.10. Gas mileage dropped 4 mile per gallon. I didn't noticed too much loss in power. Since I can no longer get 12.5 inch tires in 31's, I will be installing 33x12.5's and getting 4.56 or 5.13 for the rear gearing.
Well thats a bummer about the MPG's. What was you averaging before hand?

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you have 4.10s stock and go to 31s I would think you will definitely feel some loss of power and a drop in mileage. No telling how much or how little though.

Joseph61189

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
If you have 4.10s stock and go to 31s I would think you will definitely feel some loss of power and a drop in mileage. No telling how much or how little though.
Well I expected something or another, but was just wondering the severity of it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals