• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2006 stalling

merace19

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Little back story, truck sat up for 2 years. Had 1/2 tank of gas in it that time.
I had to do a complete motor swap.
I been driving for past couple of days. Had it stall on me while I was waiting on wife to come out of store. Thought it was just bad gas. Today I was heading to town and had to slam on brakes and it started to stall again. It shut off. I cranked it back up and it runs fine till I start slowing down. then it wants to die.
I can keep my foot on gas petal and little and it will stay running.
I got to where I was heading and put it in park and it idled fine for a few seconds and then I could hear a whine from the fuel tank. Sounds like the fuel was having a hard time, like it was fighting the pressure build.
Thing is It cranks right back up and drives fine as long as I dont come to quick stop or set idling for a few seconds. I can hear the pump straining, so I am assuming that when I keep my foot on gas a little the pressure is staying lower and not as much is being bypassed and the pump is fine. I think the pump is on its way out but wanted to hear what yall think.
I do have a brand new IAC valve that I bought and did not get a chance to use on the blown motor.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It could be a pump, but those usually won't let it fire right back up without a good knock to the tank.

It doesn't happen to be a stick does it?

merace19

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
auto. I was setting there with window down and could hear the pump straining at idle. Like over pressurizing and the pump could not hold. Like any strain on pump it shuts off. But I was able to drive the whole way home 30 miles. Stalled 2 more times. But cranked up while I was still rolling.

killj0y

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 Banger
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Fix it till its broke!
Clogged fuel filter maybe?

merace19

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Changed that on the way up there. Man that was easy too. Took 1 minute to change it and 30 seconds of that was putting my rubber gloves on so I did not smell of fuel.

Jonny Boy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Same thing was happening to my friends 97 4.0. He replaced the fuel pump and it went away.

merace19

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah I am leaning toward that pump. Have a sender issue also and this way I have 2 reasons to pull that pump.
Now weather to pull the tank or bed?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Bed, no question about it.

merace19

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Well went and got a rental pressure gauge, but could not get it to work. Like the adapter is missing something to press the schrader valve. And when I managed to pull that valve out and let it come straight into the gauge I got like 90PSI. Not sure that is right.

merace19

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I found out what the problem was. It was the strainer in the tank. It had broken down and was in a million pieces. Had to drop tank to clean out. Here is a bunch of pics I took of process.

merace19

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Word to those that see this in the future. CHANGE the stainer before this happens.
The strainer is like 5 bucks the pump and housing is 275... Took 15 minutes to pull the bed. Its just 6 bolts, 1 wire connection at the very back driver side and 3 screws that hold the filler neck. Just slide the bed back and had perfect access.
All the pressure lines and vent lines are hand remove by pressing that colored clamp.
Super easy. Then tap the snap ring counter clock wise and out comes the pump. Strainer on the bottom. Snaps in.

merace19

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Symptoms were telling me the pump was under a stain. I forgot about the strainer and how they will break up and clog the pump. it got me home so I have to give it to Ford.
Tough little pump.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals