• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2003 Ranger Edge 4x4 build/fix up

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Torsion Bar Max Crank (Pre-2008)
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
Professional Dingus At Work
After a looong weekend, I did it. I got the engine out.

Getting it to clear the core support was interesting....my hoist kept hitting the top of my open garage door. So I took the front wheels off and lowered the front down until it cleared. Not the easiest way to do it, but it worked.

1702484840143.jpeg

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
Ironically enough,
A) Despite having a 4x4, I don't have a balance shaft for some reason. Guess I can return those parts.
B) the guide that failed was the front cassette guide, and not the far more common rear guide, though I suspect it's not far behind.

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
This update has been a long time coming!

After an entirely too long Christmas break, the timing repair is done. Everything I could have replaced I did, no cheaping out with a job this big. Both cassettes, sprockets, chains, tensioners, rear main, upper and lower oil pan gaskets, water pump, front crank seal, etc.

Finally back in the truck and runs like a top though! Did fall victim to the 5th and 6th spark plug leads being backwards though.... for the second time. :icon_twisted:

Passed inspection and she's back on the road! Needs a good detail, but next on the list is replacing that front diff with a new one, and fixing the passenger rear door latch.

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
Yet another update rambling. I have fixed the jump door handles finally, both sides since I had the handles and cable ends.

I've also done the passenger spring hanger, as it had a giant rust speed hole through it. The previous guy only did the drivers side, and only when the hanger rotted to the point where the spring broke free and rested on the bed. Just do both of them!

Here's the (mangled) hanger after about an hour of grinding and pry bar-ing.
tempImageYAoSdi.png

tempImagevwuLse.png

Up next on the list is the front diff swap with the rebuilt one, and now shift tube bushings are on the list too, as they are far worse than I thought they were.

CamTheHedgehog

ASE Certified Tech
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
265/75/16
My credo
Put in the resealed diff today. Ford's instructions sure makes it sound easy to do, it isn't.

Snaking out the CV axles without removing the knuckle is interesting to say the least, but possible. After that it was smooth sailing, aside from the one annoying diff mount bolt.

I can't complain too much though, the axles are original, with nearly 255,000 miles on them and are in perfect shape. I gave them a once-over and a cleaning while they were out, and no issues. Smooth, no play, no damaged boots, and articulates through the full range of motion. So I put them back in.

Also installed the driveshaft, complete with new CV joint and U joint, both OE from spicer.

Discovered a tear in both tie rod ends as well, from where they rub up against the brake shield. It appears to be unavoidable, which is annoying because I will inevitably have to replace them again. But new ones are on the way.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals