• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2001 2.5L swap to V8 PATS

drivenyam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Ok, I have the 2001 XLT with the 2.5L 4 cylinder engine. I have read the write ups that say 2001 or newer has Type E PATS. I got to wondering if mine still had that even though it was the 2.5 and not the 2.3. I did some searching on here and I found a thread where some stated that there was no PATS on that truck which was the same as mine. However, I when I tried to have a key made I was told there is a transponder in my key. Does that mean I have PATS, and if so, which type is it? I need to know because I am going to buy the engine this weekend and I want to be sure I get the correct year model so it is the easiest it is going to be to set it up. Can you help guys me?

drivenyam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
See now that furthers my confusion. I bought my truck used and have only ever had 1 key. I was always told it would cost like $60 or so for a new one so it was never that important. Today, when I read I might not have PATS, I was going to do an experiment. I was going to have a key made at Wal-Mart and see if it started the truck. The lady put it in the machine and says that I have buy the $60 key because mine has a transponder.

So, I texted a buddy of mine in Iowa that works as a mechanic at a Ford dealership. He said if my key has an "S" right before the plastic on the key, I have PATS.

Now this says I don't. And I really want to think I don't because it will be an easier swap without it, it makes no sense to add it to my engine as the 2.5 was only offered halfway through 2001 and the previous years of the 2.5 didn't have it, AND if I have it, I am going to have a ton of fun figuring out which type since everything official says I don't have it. ARGH!!!!

I really need to find out by this weekend so any help is appreciated.

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
Find a way to get a standard key cut.
(my 1997 Ranger, non PATS, uses the same key blank as my '01 Ranger with PATS- the keys fit each ignition just fine, so choose a place other than your local Walmart girl)

However, why does it matter? You're not going to find any donor with Type E PATS, even if your truck does have this system.

drivenyam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
It matters so I know what to get. And if my truck isn't listed as having PATS but does, what indicates to me it has type E. I know that the 01 and up was supposed to have type E but my truck isn't supposed to have either. I just want to know so I get the proper year so I am not scrambling to get it running after the effort to put it in. And if I can avoid dragging it to the dealership and paying them to program keys and such, I am all about that.

Another thought, even if my truck now has PATS, if I buy an engine/comp that doesn't, will my key and such work or will I need to change it? I know the guys that add it have to change it but what if subtract it?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

V8 Level II

Dec 2008 STOTM Winner, 2008 Truck Of The Year
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Supercharged 5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Ford's PATS application chart says that the 2001 2.5 did not have PATS.

98~2001 5.0 Explorers have type B PATS which could be added to your 2001. You'd need the Type B parts (transponder keys, transceiver module, PATS module) plus the wiring to integrate it into your Ranger. If these parts did not come from the same Ex donor that gave up the PCM, then a dealer tool is needed to "introduce" the keys, PATS module and PCM to work together.

Alternative 1: get an aftermarket flash programmer (SCT, Sniper, etc.) and turn off PATS in the 99~2001 Ex PCM. Using a programmer also gets you the option of a little more adjustablility and performance.

Alternative 2: use a 96~97 Explorer engine/harness/PCM that doesn't have PATS. However, you'd need to change the returnless fuel Ranger over to a return fuel system to work with this Explorer combo.

[98 Explorer powertrain is less desirable because it has PATS and the return fuel system. Both would need to be addressed to use in a 2001 Ranger.]

Another thought, even if my truck now has PATS, if I buy an engine/comp that doesn't, will my key and such work or will I need to change it? I know the guys that add it have to change it but what if subtract it?
It doesn't apply here but a PATS key will work fine with a non PATS application. When you need another made, go to a good Ford dealer parts department and they should be able to match up a non-PATS key blank and cut it for you.

Last edited:

drivenyam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
I guess I need to find someone to just make a let for me. Thank you guys for the information.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

drivenyam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
ok, so I got the Wal-Mart close to my house to make a key without a transponder. And........I have no PATS!!! Makes it easier from what I have seen and I am just glad to know.

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
That's good news.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals