• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2 wd tranny removal

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This is the first 2wd tranny I have removed. All the others have been 4wd. It's a 1986 ranger with the Mazda.

The question is in regards to the driveshaft. Only one end has bolts. The other end, going into the transmission, does not. Is this a slip yolk that simply slides out of the transmission like the front driveshaft on the 4x4's?

I am assuming it is, but thought I would ask before I dig into it.

While I am at it, what is the best penetrating lubricant to use on the exhaust manifold flange bolts? I usually use PB blaster, but was curious if something would work better on the heat corrosion.

92ranger2wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes it should be a slip yoke. Drop the rear end and just slide it out. Don't forget to mark the driveshaft before you pull it.

I've found that a homebrew mix of acetone and ATF works best on tough rusted nuts/bolts.

If that trans is original to the truck, it shouldn't be a Mazda. They didn't use the Mazda transmissions in rangers until 88. 86 2wd should be a Toyo-Kogyo. Either way, it should have a slip yoke.

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The Toyo Kogyo is a mazda. Mazda was the manufacturer, at least according to the tranny shop owners I have talked to. That's what is in it.

It is the same transmission that is in my 86 BII, except for the tailhousing differences.

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Was that a 50/50 of acetone and ATF?

92ranger2wd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The Toyo Kogyo is a mazda. Mazda was the manufacturer, at least according to the tranny shop owners I have talked to. That's what is in it.

It is the same transmission that is in my 86 BII, except for the tailhousing differences.
Gotcha :icon_thumby:

I was referencing this, which gives no maker description, only the name.http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/ManualTransmission.html

Whenever I hear people say Mazda trans in a ranger, I'm always thinking M5OD. Most the people I know refer to the Toyo Kogyo as either a TK4 or TK5 depending on what speed it is.

I've had good luck just using a 50/50 acetone ATF mix. Just be careful as this mixture is flamable.

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
cool. Will give it a try. I am pretty sure my wife has some acetone somewhere.

Will reference it as a TK5 from now on. :icon_thumby:

And...I always have a fire extinguisher close by.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals