• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2 piece rear hatch

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i may try to find one of these for 2 reasons...
1. opening glass
2. to keep my custom airbrushed liftgate, thinking about hanging it in my shed or something. its to awesome to paint over.

but i NEED a spare tire mount

whocares

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Got my new one mounted today, had to shim it a bit. No rattles and I love havin the opening back glass

I had to do a little work to get mine working right too. Where did you shim?

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had to do a little work to get mine working right too. Where did you shim?
Where the hinges bolt to the body, I put a 1/8 inch washer on each side.

Would have taken pics but I did it myself, so didn't have the extra hands.

I love it, I love it, I love it. I can't believe that they didn't put those on all of them.

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I too put an opening glass hatch on my 88 that needed a shim on the left side. I am going to add in the wiper motor from my Ex doner and put heating elements on the glass as no BII ever came with opening glass/wiper/washer/heating element. To make this work i will have to mod my carrier bracket a bit. I'll post that up when I do it. I wish I had taken pics when I did another mod that has prevented any cracking in my 87's hatch even after driving over Alaska "roads" for the last 2 years with a 31" spare tire mounted up and two -50F winters under it's belt. I expoxied in a steel plate I fabbed up and I think I still have the proto type of. It covered over the mounting holes and extended 4 or 5 inches beyond. I did that orignally to repair a wickedly cracked hatch on an '84 BII. I am going to do it for this hatch as well as it has a small crack in it above the carrier bracket. I iwll defintely take pics and post them when I get to this part of the build up.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Cool, make it detailed. I still have my wiper motor and heating element, might try it too.

whocares

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
How are you guys getting the heating elements off the explorer window and be able to re-use them?

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have no idea, thats why I asked for pics

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Let me rephrase that. i have not had the time to investigate the procedure. But aren't those elements in the window itself. Therefore, the window would half to be removed from the donor and drilled to fit the hinges. That tells me that it probably won't happen for me, feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

whocares

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Let me rephrase that. i have not had the time to investigate the procedure. But aren't those elements in the window itself. Therefore, the window would half to be removed from the donor and drilled to fit the hinges. That tells me that it probably won't happen for me, feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.
lol, Ok, now you're a little help. I agree with that assessment. I think the elements are stuck to the glass, which still renders them useless because you cant remove them and re attach them. I was hoping it would be a direct swap of the rear glass, but I think I am hoping too much. I would like to have a rear defroster though.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I looked at the rear defroster, Its stuck on the window, so my question is , can you buy a new defroster "decal"? That way you could just stick it on the current window. I have the wiring for it and it just plugs into the window.

Plus, the defroster isn't much good without the wiper.

Don't think its worth the effort.

whocares

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I looked at the rear defroster, Its stuck on the window, so my question is , can you buy a new defroster "decal"? That way you could just stick it on the current window. I have the wiring for it and it just plugs into the window.

Plus, the defroster isn't much good without the wiper.

Don't think its worth the effort.

You can buy them, I have seen them on some other sites. Come in different sizes with the switch and wiring....but they are proud of them, too expensive for me.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals