• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2 inch coil spacers..... Longer sway bar links?

txarmysgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
Ive been going through growing pains for a while since installing coil spacers on my 96 b2300. Had hella positive camber for quite some time and steering was a disaster. I have since installed a pitman arm from a 1st gen explorer which helped a hell of a lot. Also 2.75 camber bushings - im still barely on the positive side but its a VAST improvement. I dialed in my alignment well enough to bring it to a shop and it should work out well. I had already installed a skyjacker steering stabilizer which couldnt mask the problems with my camber and steering angles. I also snagged the end links off thenfront sway bar from the explorer thinking that it would be smart to make up for the length lost from the lift. They are about 2 inches longer than the originals but it seems as though they push the sway bar pretty high. Should the front sway bar be roughly parallel to the road surface? The truck seems to corner like a go cart - fast steering and no body roll. I also feel like im constantly having to make little adjustments to keep the truck going straight my old end links were pretty worn so if i have to get original length replacements so be it. Thoughts?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
The truck seems to corner like a go cart - fast steering and no body roll.
I thought that was the goal.

Sounds like you just need to fine tune the alignment. How is the toe?

The steering stabilizer has nothing to do with caster and camber. Its purpose is to dampen the effects of hitting obstacles. For example. When you encounter a large rock, it tends to want to make the wheels turn. The stabilizer minimizes that effect on the steering and helps you maintain control.

The antisway bar minimizes body roll. That gives you that flat, no-roll control through a high speed turn like a go-cart. Sounds like its working. If all you did was some small spring spacers, i wouldn’t mess with end links.

There are some great articles in our tech section to help you understand the ttb/tib suspension and steering

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I actually took mine off and tossed it, the reason being is that it effectively “locks” the front suspension together, I go over a set of railroad tracks daily that are at a 45 degree angle, having a front sway bar doesnt let the front end move independently, the truck tosses side to side as I go over the tracks, very annoying. but with it off the axles can move independently. I just dont try to do onramps or offramps at 50 mph. rarely do I ever deal with that anyhow. Its a truck, not a mustang, a little body roll doesnt bother me. This truck never came with a rear sway bar but my ranger trailer has one on it.

txarmysgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
I thought that was the goal.

Sounds like you just need to fine tune the alignment. How is the toe?

The steering stabilizer has nothing to do with caster and camber. Its purpose is to dampen the effects of hitting obstacles. For example. When you encounter a large rock, it tends to want to make the wheels turn. The stabilizer minimizes that effect on the steering and helps you maintain control.

The antisway bar minimizes body roll. That gives you that flat, no-roll control through a high speed turn like a go-cart. Sounds like its working. If all you did was some small spring spacers, i wouldn’t mess with end links.

There are some great articles in our tech section to help you understand the ttb/tib suspension and steering
Thank you! I have to confess I have been lurking the forum for quite a while just never thought to register until now. I have referenced the information on this forum many times over and it has helped me beyond measure! It has inspired me in many ways as well (perhaps sometimes to a fault because I want to do all the things I think are cool RIGHT NOW so I started a few too many things at once). I live in Minnesota so rust is just a never ending battle but that has been the case with every metal object in my life up here so the truck should be no different. I am taking the truck to the shop today to get the alignment done and I'll share my results! I appreciate the reply and also thank you for your service! I am also a veteran. Army, 1992-2005. Mostly 1st Cav and overseas assignments. Deployments to Bosnia, Iraq, and Afghanistan.

txarmysgt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
I actually took mine off and tossed it, the reason being is that it effectively “locks” the front suspension together, I go over a set of railroad tracks daily that are at a 45 degree angle, having a front sway bar doesnt let the front end move independently, the truck tosses side to side as I go over the tracks, very annoying. but with it off the axles can move independently. I just dont try to do onramps or offramps at 50 mph. rarely do I ever deal with that anyhow. Its a truck, not a mustang, a little body roll doesnt bother me. This truck never came with a rear sway bar but my ranger trailer has one on it.
Funny you say that - I was contemplating that myself or at least testing the waters without it! I'll give it a whirl after my alignment is done and see how it goes thanks!

JMF661

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
31” x 10.5”
I also junked all the sway bars, it does like to get a little crappy if your trying to warm up your tires before a restart. I think its pretty fun though.

10/10 would recommend for an off road/fun truck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals