• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 stumble

10strokin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi all, I have changed the throttle position sensor, oxygen sensor, coolant temp. sensor, and cleaned the throttle body on my 87 2.9, but when i hit the gas from idle, there is a noticeable stumble before it revs up...any ideas? Thanks

10strokin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
By the way, the idle is fine, its only when u hit the gas, it bogs for a second, then accelerates....

PGHFord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L EFI
Transmission
Automatic
Did you scan for any codes?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The EGR and IAC(idle air control) can affect from idle acceleration.

Don't replace them test them, hardened vacuum lines can get cracks

lodden758

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
low fuel pressure can affect it to. check fuel pressure and fuel pressure regulator.

J281v8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 266K
Transmission
Manual
Did you change the fuel filter yet? When was the last time you changed the plugs and wires? How many miles on the engine? What kind of air filter do you use? Just trying to get some background.
Jim

10strokin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Forgot to add, plugs and wires are brand new. IAC was cleaned up nicely and reinstalled. I cannot get any codes to come up at all on my tester, have no idea why. i have a new filter up by the engine, but dont know the condition of the one on the framerail yet. Engine runs pretty decent other than this. 129,000 miles. No smoke and all cylinders read between 120-140

PGHFord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L EFI
Transmission
Automatic
Push down on your fuel injector plugs to the injectors make sure there isnt one that has come loose. my truck always sorta did the stumble thing just as your about to go when the truck is cold, I was reading just now about just like such an issue on another site, said one of the injector plugs was loose. Im seeing how my truck runs now for a week before I fiddle anymore with it, seems to be fine since I replaced IAC and MAP and fixed no start with a new TFI. Might consider next weekend taking off EGR and doing a routine clean for maintenance.

10strokin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
What exactly does the MAP sensor do?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
MAP stands for manifold absolute pressure.
This sensors gives information to the Engine computer so it can meter the fuel injectors.

Fuel injected engines need some way to determine the most efficient amount of fuel to add to the available air flow, that's what the MAP does, tells the ECU the air volume pressure.
Carburetors used "jets", as air passed by the jets fuel was sucked in to the manifold, the wider open the throttle the more air so more fuel was pulled in.

The MAP sensors isn't the only sensor used for fuel mix, engine temp and air temp is important as well.

MAF stands for mass airflow, this is a similar sensor to the MAP, a manufacturer usually will use one or the other, but both can be used

10strokin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Excellent info, thanks! I will look into changing this next and checking the injector plugs....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals