• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 engine miss?

97fordrunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm also watching this as my '89 is doing something similar and running rich as all get out.

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mine is running rich as well? getting about 15 mpg, but the plugs came out looking like they were being run lean (on the whiter side of the normal tannish-brown....not burnt or melted)

97fordrunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yup same thing as me, the only reason I think it is running rich is it sounds like its flooding out and the exhaust is foul as hell.

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Changed the computer tonight with a used one. Made a HUGE difference. After changing it, I rechecked the timing and tps and they were both F***ed. TPS went from reading .98 V to .85 V and the timing went from 10* to 0*. Idle is much, much better. Still surges a little bit, but nowhere near as bad. Will be taking it on a 120 mile cruise to Portland tomorrow. Will update mileage when I get back. So far This one change has made the biggest difference. Still need to check codes.

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok. Back from Portland. As for the truck, I am not to thrilled. Pinging was absolutely insane. I couldn't climb a hill or accelerate at a decent pace without sounding like a diesel. Gas mileage improved to 18 mpg only and that was with me babying it because of the pinging and cruising at 65. Other than that it seemed to run ok. Just for a base check....what mpg is everyone else getting and what are you running??

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
at last check I only got 16 MPG on mine, but I have the 4.0 trans, and make a lot of short trips in the city.

And yes, forgetting the pull the spout would probably do that. it'll either give you that or no power.

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
had a lot of one and a little of the other. Gutless and Dieseling.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Ok, so go back, time the engine, correctly this time, and then go buy yourself some coolant because I just put a bottle of Bar's and a new rad cap on my truck and so you can't have mine anymore.

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Crap. Good times always go away to quickly. No more freeloading.

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok. I can't get the thing timed. Best I can get it is 6* BTDC. The distributor won't turn any farther. I replaced the TFI. I tried switching out coils. Ran codes and got a 33 and a 13. Egr is new, EGR position sensor is used, IAC motor looks fairly new and isn't all gunked up inside. TPS is set at .98 V. Any ideas?????

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Went and messed with it some more. After 8 months of this I am about to give up. Everything I do results in it running worse. I think this may be my final post on this. Compression is 150 all, Fuel pressure holds steady at 30lbs. FPR is new and not leaking. There don't seem to be any vacuum leaks and ALL gaskets have been replaced (Except head), Coil seems good. TFI is new. Engine supposedly has 115,000 on it. (got wrecked and sat for a while) IAC is good. MAP seems good. Engine actually runs better if I disconnect the red vacuum line behind the throttle body. O2 sensor hasn't been tested yet but looks new. Will test. Plugged cats maybe? Doesn't really have the typical plugged cat loss of power. Plugs, wires, cap and rotor are all new. Plug gap is .044. New radiator, thermostat, temp gauge sensor and water pump. Have not tested air temp sensor or coolant temp sensor. Switched out the computer.

Maybe I need to let the newer computer "relearn" for a while??

Could there be any fusible links, gas return lines, relays, etc... that I need to go after?

Last call for ideas on this?? Getting close to selling it and I REALLY don't want to do that. Waited over 10 years to have a BII again.

brommel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
One thing that has been in the back of my mind is checking the fuel injectors.. The plug condition on mine (tan for the most part) seems to indicate that fuel delivery is adequate, but without actually removing/replacing/testing them - how can I be sure? Just an idea..

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I thought that too, but I had them out when I replaced the seals. They LOOKED good. Engine seems to run pretty good at higher RPM's. Idle sucks. Haven't noticed the miss under load recently.

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know I said yesterdays post would be the last, but damn it. I don't want to give up. Looking at my truck a little closer, I discovered once again what a dumbass I can be sometime. The EGR system has 3 main components. I thought it had 2. I changed the EGR Control Module and the Pressure Feedback Sensor but have done nothing with the EGR Vacuum Control Regulator/Solenoid. Only place that stocks it is the dealership. Maybe why I keep blowing the 33 code????????????????? Will change it later and report back.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals