• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 Rod Knock?

geoff c.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 94 mazda b2300 with about 175000 miles. This has happened twice now, the first time about a month ago then again today. I started my truck this morning and it was knocking very loud, I did have oil pressure. I popped the hood and tried to pinpoint it sounded like either the first or second cylinder. The first time this happened it stopped after about 10 seconds but today it knocked for about 2 minutes. Knock increased with rpm. It didn't knock again the rest of the day.
What is weird to me is it sounded like a rod knock but it went away and has only happened twice. Im going to try to record it with my phone next time it happens.

b23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mazda
Transmission
Manual
I dont have a lot of experience with these engines, but have been a mechanic for cars for many years. In my experience what you are describing is likely to be a stuck valve or lifter. As the engine heats up, the valve becomes unstuck and the symptoms go away.

The rarity and irregular nature of your problem took me to this diagnosis. If it happened all the time, or at least predictably, its likely to be something else.

I would recommend seafoaming the engine, I have done it to many many cars and done properly there is no risk and it will do a lot to clear up any gunk that may be in the engine, which depending on what is getting stuck, may help a lot to prevent this in the future

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I have a 94 mazda b2300 with about 175000 miles. This has happened twice now, the first time about a month ago then again today. I started my truck this morning and it was knocking very loud, I did have oil pressure. I popped the hood and tried to pinpoint it sounded like either the first or second cylinder. The first time this happened it stopped after about 10 seconds but today it knocked for about 2 minutes. Knock increased with rpm. It didn't knock again the rest of the day.
What is weird to me is it sounded like a rod knock but it went away and has only happened twice. Im going to try to record it with my phone next time it happens.
Mine does that sometimes on a cold morning. Its piston slap caused by worn cylinder bores or collapsed piston skirts... in my case at least

When the engine is cold the pistons have more clearance to the cylinder bores and slap around against the cylinder wall, then when they reach operating temperature the piston expands and swells with heat and the clearance is reduced.

Typically a rod knock will not go away and is loudest under a light load

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
A collapsed valve lifter will cause a loud rapping sound until it pumps up and closes up the clearance. It is not unusual. The sound would come from underneath the cam cover. If you remove the oil filler cap, it should be louder. If it persists, it can damage the cam lobes and the follower, perhaps the valve stem tip, causing permanent noise.
If you haven't done so, you could try changing the oil, going to a lower viscosity for winter time, and changing to more viscous oil in hot weather.
tom

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Listen under the car. If its a reciprocating assembly noise, you will here it better near the oil pan. They will make some noises in the morning when cold as an engine wears. A rod may knock some and then go away as oil pressure is finally built up in all locations. These engines don't have typical lifter noises as do engines with lifters and pushrods in the block. But any noises from the valvetrain will be heard up on the top of the engine. Use a piece of hose as a listening device, moving it around against the engine. It really works. Has you oil been changed recently? is it full? I would change it and make sure everything is good if you have not recently done this.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals