• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 into a BII.. Am I crazy?

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
why do i remember b2's having 4 cyl engines? they didnt have the 2.0 but the 2.3 1 bbl...then the diesel option in 85 iirc...the diesel the 2.3 and the 2.8 were options a few years...had 3 engine choice then it was 2.3-2.9 then 2.9 only...

i had an x truck that was gifted to trenton schools too that was a plow truck. 4.0 equipped...but a non production test truck. had to be sold in parts not whole.

put the axles in my truck. and the rest on many others.

there has to be someone round here with a 4 cyl truck...
I thought I remembered reading the BII came with the 4-banger

How is the 2.9 less reliable then a 2.3L?....and there not that much weaker then a 4.0. There a good comprimise.

Actually the 300 (4.9L) swap isnt that big of deal if you put on like a 3 inch body lift.

Some here will try to steer you away from that swap, but with the body lift its no harder then a 302, and the 300 is better at performing truck duties then a 302. Its also as reliable as the earths rotation.

later,
Dustin
In my experience the 2.3 has been WAAAYY more reliable than the 2.9, I've seen one go over 300k, one go over 250k, and one at 188k, and all still running, with no major work done... Both 2.9's I've had died before 200k... Maybe I'm unlucky... I think the 300 would be real neat, but I'm looking for something that's gonna be easy to get, and no real major fab work...

Much like a 2.3.

Before mine was turbo'd, it wasn't underpowered in the least. It would move the ranger just as fast as the 4.0 moves my explorer. The BII is much closer in weight to a ranger. I see no reason why it couldn't move a BII. Ford was putting them in extended cab ranger's which can't be any lighter than a BII. I say go for it. Make sure you've got 3.73 or 4.10 gear axles and it'll be fine. And you won't have to worry about cracked heads and loss of oil pressure problems associated with the 2.9L POS engine.
I think a 2.3 will do fine in a BII... It already has 3.73's and when I do my 8.8, D35 swap I'll probably go to 4.56's run maybe 31's... So, for now it all depends on what engine I can find first and the least expensive... 4.0 or 2.3...

Maybe I could add a small turbo to the 2.3? Run maybe 5 psi? 150hp would be easy to get wouldn't it? I should stop thinking... I'm gonna get myself in trouble, lol...

Last edited:

coonass_cracker

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
been there, done that.

you'll be fine. i put a carbureted (1 barrel no less) 2.3 into an 84 BII and it was no different than driving the 83 ranger i pulled it out of. and that was turning 235/75r15's to boot. it won't be no hot rod or stump puller of course, but the BII does have the axle ratio to make it work.

even though the BII is heavier, it's not significant. plus the ranger with a 4 cylinder is expected to move at least that much weight and more in payload capacity. unless you plan on hauling 1000+ lbs in the back of your BII i doubt you'll notice much difference from driving a ranger that has one.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I don't plan on carrying around that much all the time, but on occasions I'll need to be able to take enough stuff for a week or two worth of camping, plus a small utility trailer... I flat towed my BII home with my 2.5 Ranger and it didn't have any problems at all... It really depends on what I find though... If I find a 4.0 I'll put that in, but I'm having a hard time finding one around here... That's why the 2.3 idea hatched...

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
I'd go 302 over a 300 anyday...

But for the BII, if its low geared rock crawling or slower offroading the 2.3L should be sufficient. If its mudding or any sport requiring you to spin those tires then obviously a 2.3L would be a poor choice. I agree with Seven, the 2.9L is junk. What size tires are you going to install? I think if its going to see a lot of offroad time, maybe step up to 4.56:1 or greater.

coonass_cracker

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I don't plan on carrying around that much all the time, but on occasions I'll need to be able to take enough stuff for a week or two worth of camping, plus a small utility trailer... I flat towed my BII home with my 2.5 Ranger and it didn't have any problems at all... It really depends on what I find though... If I find a 4.0 I'll put that in, but I'm having a hard time finding one around here... That's why the 2.3 idea hatched...
i still think you'll be fine. when i drove the ranger i constantly overutilized it, towing trailers that exceeded what it was rated for and all that crap. the only problem i forsee *with a heavy load* will be going up a grade or merging onto freeway traffic. don't be in a hurry and be prepared to have other drivers honking and throwing you the middle finger here and there.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
2.9's junk?

I believe a 2.9 holds the mileage record for TRS, last i knew of C Marshalls BII he had almost 700,000 miles.

later,
Dustin

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
This is gonna be my DD, probably 31" AT's or mild MT's is all it would get, maybe 3-4" of lift or so... I'll use it for driving to school and back every day, and every other weekend dragging me and a couple of colleagues to a research site we're working on... During the summer it's going to get a lot more use, I'll have a small trailer I'll be towing behind it to our site with a couple weeks worth of camping gear, then loaded up <500lbs and towed back home...

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
2.9's junk?

I believe a 2.9 holds the mileage record for TRS, last i knew of C Marshalls BII he had almost 700,000 miles.

later,
Dustin
I wouldn't go so far to say the 2.9 is junk, I liked both of them when they ran, I just can't seem to get them to run like I can the 2.3... I'm the same way with automatic transmissions... Every auto equipped vehicle I've owned has had problems...

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
How is the 2.9 less reliable then a 2.3L?....and there not that much weaker then a 4.0. There a good comprimise.
As reliable as my 2.9 was and as hard as I beat it, there is no way a 2.9 is as reliable or bullet proof as a 2.3. And the 4.0 is a pretty big upgrade in the low end torque department from the 2.9, been there done that.

coonass_cracker

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
which reminds me i should point out the one i did was manual trans. i can't say i would recommend it with an auto trans.

also don't forget to think about how much weight you'll be carrying if you plan to carry passengers. if they are all heavy enough, that can add up fast.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well, I posted in the "Wanted to Buy" section, but if I can't find a 4.0 and a M50D for ~ $500 pretty soon I'll probably be going with the 2.3... I've already got a line on one with 45k and a tranny for $500...

I'd have to say 1000lbs is probably the most I'll have in it and tow less than 500lbs(750lbs of man meat, 300lbs of gear... towing <500lb trailer)

PaleBlue90

Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3,2.9 and 4.0
Transmission
Manual
This is gonna be my DD, probably 31" AT's or mild MT's is all it would get, maybe 3-4" of lift or so... I'll use it for driving to school and back every day, and every other weekend dragging me and a couple of colleagues to a research site we're working on... During the summer it's going to get a lot more use, I'll have a small trailer I'll be towing behind it to our site with a couple weeks worth of camping gear, then loaded up <500lbs and towed back home...
if thats the case id go with the 4.0. you will enjoy the power in those cases:icon_thumby:

Spartan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
make sure it has a turbo head if you are going to rund a turbo. the NA block should be fine at 5 psi...but to be safe use the turno head at least.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Well, I posted in the "Wanted to Buy" section, but if I can't find a 4.0 and a M50D for ~ $500 pretty soon I'll probably be going with the 2.3... I've already got a line on one with 45k and a tranny for $500...

I'd have to say 1000lbs is probably the most I'll have in it and tow less than 500lbs(750lbs of man meat, 300lbs of gear... towing <500lb trailer)
Look for a whole donor rig, you're going to need the wiring anyways.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Look for a whole donor rig, you're going to need the wiring anyways.
I wish I could... I've been looking on Craigslist, people must think Exploders are gold, I found two, one with 140k a blown HG, and A4LD, they want $1000, and another with a blown HG for $900... I can't find one for less than a grand...

Well, I just found a Ex sport that drives for $750...

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals