• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 internal guru question...

mikepotts

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
okay so most of you already know what ive been building for my ranger, for those who dont... ive replaced a tired 2.0 with a j/y 2.3 which i had a valve job done cleaned up the bottom end added a new melling std oil pump, windage tray, roller cam, and adapted the efi intake to a holley 350 cfm carb. something interesting happened when i tried to prime the motor with a drill on the oil pump primer shaft i made... IT BLEW THE OIL FILTER APART! yes is said blew it APART. the end of the filter where it is crimped together came apart... motorcraft filter. so, i timed the motor, dropped the dizzy in, replaced the filter with a fram refilled with oil. primed the carb and fired it up! it started and ran perfectly! but it was dark, i could hear some funny noise below the intake... i dont know if there is another issue with the filter yet, i will continue checking it over tomorrow, just wanted to get this post up to see if anyone can think of anything off hand... if not, i will update this when i have more info.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Hmmm...interesting...sorry, but the only thing I can think of is the oil filter was defective...I'd be interested to know if it happens again though...

mikepotts

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
thanks, ive used hundreds of motorcraft filters (302's ect) and never had a problem... i guess i was due for a defective one. i hope that was all it was, it runs too good to have to get back into it! i spoke with a friend, he suggested maybe the new oil pump had the bypass valve stuck or something...

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
he suggested maybe the new oil pump had the bypass valve stuck or something...
took the words right out of my mouth.

either a defective pump or defective oil filter would be my vote. i would start by verifying the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge.

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Mike,any time you put a new pump in ,you should put it in a pan of oil and prime it that way before it goes in,then prime again when in.This way you not only know that it that it is primed but gets rid of any machining leftovers,works for us

mikepotts

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
well... all of this might be a mute point. i went out this morn. looked at the new filter, and saw the gasket hanging out the side, so i spun it off and put the gasket back in place. the truck started right up flawlessly, i let it run for a minute before i decided to shut down and check the oil level. found it low, added some, tried to start back, it didnt even make a complete rotation before stopping SOLID! i guess it's back to the drawing board... gonna pull the motor and see WTF! maybe i should have put the 5.0 in it. this is my first effort with the 4 cyl's. :annoyed:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
well... all of this might be a mute point. i went out this morn. looked at the new filter, and saw the gasket hanging out the side, so i spun it off and put the gasket back in place. the truck started right up flawlessly, i let it run for a minute before i decided to shut down and check the oil level. found it low, added some, tried to start back, it didnt even make a complete rotation before stopping SOLID! i guess it's back to the drawing board... gonna pull the motor and see WTF! maybe i should have put the 5.0 in it. this is my first effort with the 4 cyl's. :annoyed:
Ouch! Sorry to hear that...could be the new oil pump is wonky, but I've never heard of one stopping an engine like that...or blowing off oil filters...but very much an unusual and interesting situation...could be a good tech bulletin if you figure it out though...

All the best...

mikepotts

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
im a TOOL! at least partially, it seems i had a problem, then added another... i forgot to mention when i topped off the oil level i also started filling the radiator with coolant. it was THEN that i tryed to start it again, and it was locked up... it is hard for me to admit my stupidity, but evidently when connecting the pcv line to vacuum and the coolant line to the intake (same size hoses) i got them swapped around :icon_twisted: thus when i was filling the radiator it was working its way back to the place on the intake where i had hooked it up to manifold vacuum thus filling the intake thus filling the cylinder with an open intake valve thus hydro lock! told ya'll i was a TOOL! anyhow, i got all of that straightened out, changed the oil and filter, it atarted right up again... then... blew the oil filter gasket out. i put it back tightened it TIGHT! started it up again, and it blew it out again. :annoyed: so, i guess i need to pull the pan and oil pump... the problem HAS to be the pump, best i can figure.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Wow, I don't think you need any more lessons on this one...lol!

You had mentioned it did this even before you started it up...with the drill...since I'm not familiar with how this end of it works, I can only assume things...is there a line that goes to the oil filter and then another line that goes outward to the top end? If so, I would 'assume' that the line going out of the filter is plugged and when you prime oil into the filter it has no place to go so it builds pressure in the filter till it blows...

I love proving how ignorant I am...lol!

mikepotts

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i made an oil pump primer from an extra dizzy and had the drill on it.

all the oil passages are internal in the block, best i could figure the relief in the pump HAD to be hung open, so i jacked the motor up in the truck, dropped the pan and removed the pump... i called autozone and raised cain since ive spend over $500.00 there in the last 2 weeks, they are gonna replace the pump and will be giving me another filter and oil... ive read else where on a mini stock message board where someone had over 100 lbs of oil pressure! it was suggested the valve was stuck he replaced the pump and fixed the problem. hopefully i will also!

oh and i doubt there is a blockage since there is oil coming up to the cam and lifters.

mustang9093

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84 Ranger w/86
Make / Model
90 Mustang LX
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Oil pump

The oil pump internal relief valve is stuck closed. This will cause extreme oil preasure. The valve is spring loaded and preset at the factory for the correct running oil preasure. You can take it apart or replace the pump. I think I would swap it for a new one back where you got it. We use to modify the Melling pumps to increase the oil flow back before you could get the HV models. High preasure does't always mean high volume... Hope this helps.

mikepotts

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
well guys... as it turns out the relief WAS stuck, i swaped it out at autozone for another new pump... before i installed it i removed the plate and checked the relief and guess what... this one was stuck also! i got it free, lubed it with 30wt oil, packed it with vaseline (a mistake) then installed it. i got the vaseline thing from another web site, the reason i say it was a mistake is... it took FOREVER to get it to start pumping, but it finally took off and pumped nicely without blowing anything apart.... YEAH ME! :D

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Excellent! :icon_thumby:

Glad it wasn't too difficult to resolve...it might make a good sticky for the tech board too...I'm sure there are many who consider changing the oil pump and if they knew it had potential problems avoid the extra down time of having to yank it out again...

mikepotts

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
as a final note... ALWAYS CHECK THE RELIEF VALVE FOR FREE TRAVEL! before installing remove the bottom plate to do so, while it is apart lube it with the MOTOR OIL of your choice DO NOT use vaseline or grease! then you can install it with confidence. :icon_cheers:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals