• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.0 Pistons

upnsmoke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hi all. I have a 2.0 in my 88 with a little work in it- lunati cam, comp springs, mild port work, fresh valve job, and a cheap junk carb with a good tune up. Winds up over 6k pretty happily and makes decent power for what it is, however I have recently been exploring options for more power, including a 5.0 swap (got 3 complete motors worth of parts laying around). I also thought about turboing my 2.0. Obviously my stock cast pistons have to go, and I dont think hypereutectics will hold up under boost either, or will they? I know there is a selection of pistons available for the 2.3, and I have read that my 2.0 head will bolt up to a 2.3, so I suppose that would be an option. My question is, what should I do with my motor to make it hold up to half an atmosphere of boost or better? Does someone make forged pistons for my 2.0, or can I buy a custom set for some reasonable price? Should I get a 2.3 bottom end or should I just build up a 302? Sorry for the long post and thanks for any thoughts you all have.

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I would bore your bottom end and put a 2.5 crank in it as long as your going to do something,however you can never beat cubic inches

upnsmoke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a line on a 2.3 turbo short block right now, which is why I am trying to decide now. I also want to use a built c4 that we have laying around. I think it will go on a 2.3 with a stinger performance adaptor, but I dont know if the flexplate is a problem. Anyone know if there is a flexplate/ torque convertor that will work with a 2.3/c4 off the shelf? Just to make my decision a little harder, my pop now tells me he has a nice set of aluminum heads for the 5.0 I can use. I guess the transmission may end up being the deciding factor here.

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes,you could get a c4 in a pinto so just get a flex plate for one.Still would go with the cubic inches and run a OD trans

upnsmoke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I looked up a pinto flexplate and it does look like that will work. I know the c4 is a 3 speed, but this truck will never see over 50 mph for any extended period of time anyway. I dont do much highway driving and I take my time when I do. My pop had the c4 in his 5.0 ranger and it drove and shifted great. He only put about 10k miles on it, so it is still pretty fresh. I like the idea of the c4 because I know it will live behind my 2.3 and when I go 302 I can keep the trans as it is and maybe even reuse my stall convertor. I would love to build up a 2.3 turbo motor, and it would be a great excuse to try out the Megasquirt rig I have been eyeing. 4b316, I appreciate you sharing your knowledge with me, definitely will help me make a decision. I think I am going to go ahead and jump on the 2.3 bottom end.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals