• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1999 ranger 3.0 auto 4x4 to 302 manual 4x4

Dylan9302

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1) 1998
2) 199
Make / Model
1)Mazda
2) For
Engine Size
1) 2.5L M 2) 3.0L A
Transmission
Automatic
hi guys so i have a 99 ranger 4x4 auto 3.0l. it has 330000 km on it and im planning on swapping a 302 into it... i havent found any parts so i have to ask with such high km is it worth it... how much do you think this is going to cost.

so i am planning on having a standard but the 5.0 in to explorers
only have auto so were would i find one? what sort of modification am i looking at doing and and what am i going to have to buy?

thanks dylan

bronco2guy

Banned - Selling busted parts
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you would need 5spd from 97-??01 Ford F150 that has 4.2 V6, same Bell Housing bolts right up to the 5.0, Thats what I have in my truck, but then you will also need F150 t-case I'm running 4406 manual. Good luck..

Dylan9302

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1) 1998
2) 199
Make / Model
1)Mazda
2) For
Engine Size
1) 2.5L M 2) 3.0L A
Transmission
Automatic
ok so if i got that tranny and transfer case from a ford 4.2 v6 how are the driveshaft legnths going to be? also if thats a manual t-case your using how would i put that into my truck... cutting and welding mounts?

V8 Level II

Dec 2008 STOTM Winner, 2008 Truck Of The Year
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Supercharged 5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
ok so if i got that tranny and transfer case from a ford 4.2 v6 how are the driveshaft legnths going to be? also if thats a manual t-case your using how would i put that into my truck... cutting and welding mounts?
The front driveshaft from the same 97~03 F150 can be adapted to the 98+ Ranger front diff using a conversion U-joint. Lengthwise, the f150 shaft may be a tight fit but it should be doable. Depending on the tolerances of the Ranger, shortening may or may not be required. Instead of shortening, I moved the engine/trans/t-case back about 3/8" to free up some clearance. The F150 front shaft has a built-in slip yoke so it does not have to be exact.

The stock Ranger rear driveshaft would need to be shortened to accommodate the BW4406 case which is much larger in all dimensions. The 4x4 Ranger slip yoke is built inside the shaft but the 4406 has it in the tailhousing. So, one way to do it is by welding a new fixed yoke on the shortened Ranger shaft and using a compatible slip yoke for the t-case tailhousing.

Here are the 2 shafts - stock F150 4.2 front and modified Ranger rear with a 2006 Expedition slip yoke installed. The 150 slip yoke should work as well. The 03 Supercab rear shaft in the picture is 48" center to center on the u-joints.

The M5ODR2 trans mount should match up to the stock Ranger transmission X-member with little or no modifications. The 4406 hangs off the rear of the M5 with no other support.

The holes in the 4.2L M5 bellhousing are set up for metric bolts so they need to be drilled out just slightly to clear the 7/16 bolts for the 5.0. The good news is that the bolt patern is the same and the engine/trans alignment is indexed on two dowel pins which are the same size on both engines.

The M5ODR2 uses the same slave cylinder as the Ranger's M5ODR1 so the clutch hydraulics are compatible.

Both of the stock 150 4.2 manual shifters and the t-case linkage can be used in the Ranger but tunnel mods are needed and boots would have to be adapted.

Possible problem areas:

The 4406 will be very close to the Ranger's driver side frame rail and the slip yoke close to the fuel tank. Slight adjustments may be necessary. In addition to moving the powertrain 3/8" toward the rear as mentioned above, I also moved it 3/8" toward the passenger side. Others have installed the case without this step. This comes down to a combination of personal preference and how the tolerances stack up.

The above info is from my 2003 Supercab. Due to its large size, it is unlikely that the 4406 can be installed in a late model regular cab Ranger without relocating the fuel tank at the very least. Other mods might also be needed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals