• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1999 ford ranger xlt 4x4 engine compatibility

Gabe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I recently wrecked my truck and got away with tons of body damage. How new of a ranger could I get just to drop my motor and possibly transmission into. I found a 2002 ranger that needs a motor and transmission but I wasn't sure it would work.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

1990 to 2000 Rangers used the 4.0l OHV engine
2001 and up Rangers got the 4.0l SOHC engines

These are different engines, no relation to each other

You could do this swap since you have complete 1999 donor vehicle
Besides the engine and transmission you would need to swap over the 1999 computer and engine wiring harness.
2002 computer can't run the 4.0l OHV engine very well, and engine wiring wouldn't match up since they are different engines.

When you swap computers you also need to swap Keys, because of PATS anti-theft, so swap ignition cylinders and door locks(if you want same key to work for both)
There would also be some other changes needed with 1999 computer in a 2002, i.e. speedometer and 4x4 control

The 4.0l SOHC rated 205 horsepower
4.0l OHV 160 horsepower
So not really a great swap for the cost and labor involved

Selling the running 4.0l OHV and transmission to someone with a 1995-2000 Ranger then using that money to fix or replace the 4.0l SOHC and trans in the 2002, IMO, would be a better direction, you get a newer stock vehicle without all the wiring hassles

Or even a 5.0l V8 swap into the 2002, same labor as 4.0l OHV swap but better results :)

Depending on where you live there may be other implications when you change the type of engine in a vehicle, because the VIN number will no longer match the vehicle, 8th digit in the Ford VIN tells what engine was installed at the factory
4.0l SOHC and 4.0l OHV used different VIN, as would a V8
So you may end up with a Salvage Title or Rebuilt Title, using stock engine you won't
If there is emissions testing required then in most cases you can't use an engine older than the year of the vehicle, so you can't put a '99 engine, of any size, into an '02 vehicle

Last edited:

Gabe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ok thanks for the info. i was worried about the computer and wiring. the different engine and the chips in the keys never crossed my mind.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1998 to 2000 Rangers with 4.0l were identical years so best use for that 1999 engine and trans.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals