• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1997 ford splash 4x4 Auto hubs ?

ddsmith1958

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
Hello Everyone,
I have just bought a 1997 Ford Ranger 4.0 Splash Stepside 4x4 and I love it.
My problem is , that the guy that sold it to me had made an attempt to repack the front wheel bearings and in doing so installed the front Auto locking hubs incorrect.
He did not align the two tangs into the slots correctly and when he tried the 4x4 out he broke the tangs on both auto hubs on the front.
He removed the auto hubs on both sides and found the two tangs on each side and digarded them .
He put everything back together and it does great in 2 wheel drive.
My question is should i go back to Auto hubs on the front or use a set of the manual after market hubs ?
Also could you suggest which ones and where I might get them cheap.
And will i need any other parts to change it from auto hubs to manual if I go that route ?
Thanks

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
your best bet is to convert to warn manual hubs.. check the parts for sale section on here.. theirs always guys getting rid of manual hubs cheap...

jrmustranger97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would definitely go with the warn manual hubs. Sometimes it's a pain to get out and lock them but they are more reliable than the auto hubs. I picked mine up at NAPA for about $200. This included the spindle nut conversion kit which you will need. If NAPA doesn't have them, you can order them through any specialty parts store.

Part # 29071 (manual hub)
Part # 32720 Manual Hub Spindle Nut Kit; 19 Spline And 27 Spline;

Here is the link with instructions on how to install the conversion.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/howto_hubswap.htm :icon_thumby:
Good Luck

Shotokan1509

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Warn makes a manual hub for Jeep D35's that are stronger than the Ranger piece and works perfectly. Read the link for the explanation, this what I am running along with quite a few other people on this board. I believe if you are going to replace you might as well go with the strongest. I think I paid a tad under $200 (late 2006) for the hubs and the spindle nut conversion kit.

Warn pt# 37780

http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/May04/offroad.htm

EDIT: You will need a D35 hub socket to install the new spindle nuts (should cost $20) It is a large socket, round inside but has 4 teeth that protrude from the end.
Example, but mine is flat between the 4 prongs, not those indents.

Last edited:

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Manual Hubs

rickcdewitt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4-0 swap
Transmission
Manual
you can get everything you need from the wrecking yard also,ford used the warn hubs from the factory.if your truck has 33's or smaller you really don't need the better jeep hubs.

DangerRanger96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I went thru TRS site... found a store on the home page, and got them cheap. They are great...Just have to remember to lock and unlock!!

oldmantruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I got the milemarker hubs from summit. with the superwinch spindle nuts and summit brand wrench. This was the cheepest posibility for new stuff that I found to that point. ( I hope the mile marker hubs are good enough, I'll let you know if either break).

After I ordered I found a site that said that if you ask for spindle nuts for an 80's f150( d44) you can find them for 9 bucks per side, I spent about 15 so look around first you could probably save a few bucks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals