• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1997 3.0L Troubleshooting

97Blues

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6 Vulcan
Transmission
Automatic
Let me first say that TRS is the best website for tech data and getting ideas.

I have a 1997 3.0L with close to 180,000 miles on it (just breaking it in) and have owned it for most of that time. I have, like many fords, a tick/ping coming from what sounds like the drivers side rear part of the engine.
Heres the twist: 2 years ago I took it to the dealership to have a tune-up, long story short no tick/ping before but they broke a spark plug off in the drivers side rear most cylinder and somehow got it out. ever since then the tick has been there... Is there anything I can do to trouble shoot this? Any parts off hand that would get damaged by a broken spark plug removal?

Second question: Power steering w/ac. when I run the AC and turn the wheel I can hear the belt slipping. Brand new belt. SOmetimes upon start up the belt slips slightly too. I am prety sure it is the AC condensers fault but it works fine as long as you are not accelerating or turning... which kinda sucks!

Thanks in advance

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
It's possible that there is a piece of porcelain from the plug bouncing around in the #6 cylinder. If replacing the belt didn't work, then the next thing it could be is a weak belt tensioner.

bikerboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I would also check for an exhaust leak as far as the ticking noise goes. Bob pretty much got it on the second question. If the new belt didn't fix it either it isn't adjusted right or the automatic tensioner needs replaced. When the belt is off spin all the pulleys to feel if they spin smooth as well. Let us know what you find.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals