• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1994 ranger v8 swap

willy

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 explorer
Transmission
Automatic
The mustang powersteering pump and such its a bit wider than the explorer stuff

kevinbmx77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well ive got fire, lots and lots of fire. But no start. I tried turning the rotor on the distributor 180° and it seemed better but still no start. Alittle more info on how i was doing this; no fuel pump just a bottle to dump gas slowly into it and everything else hooked to the battery. Any ideas on what it may be? Maybe dumping gas doesnt keep the flow going as much as it needs to?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

kevinbmx77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok so thanks to everyones help on my other post i realized even though the kid i bought the cam and lifters from said it had 351 timing for that cam it is actually a flat tappet cam and needs 302 timing. I will be testing this tomorrow. Thanks to everyone who helps out constantly

kevinbmx77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Did a compression test on cylinders one and two. Nothing... removed the head and saw a pretty abused looking head gasket for the motor being just rebuilt as the guy said, pistons were filthy, the walls looked grimy and mabe even rusty. Going to remove the other head and let every cylinder and piston soak in diesel fuel. Right now cylinders 1-4 are soaking in regular gas. Hopefully i can make this better. Might be getting new heads from the junkyard off an explorer, or possibly from this guy i know who has some shaved and ported head. Dont really want to much power on a stock block but...

kevinbmx77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So i cleaned it all down with some brake parts cleaner and theyre looking great, the look dirty in the picture because they have ultra slick lube all over them right now so they dont rust, got a new gasket and tomorrow i will be putting everything back together. Im going to do the compression test with a different tester along with the one we used before
any input from anybody on why there would be 0 compression and everything seem fine would be much appreciated.

kevinbmx77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My friend said he had some shaved and ported 5.0 heads in his closet and he drives a corvette and a dodge neon now so he gave them to me. They are rusted to hell though.

I saw somewhere that vinegar will remove rust 50/50 vinegar and water. So right now they are soaking in it and its actually working lol

kevinbmx77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
And how there looking today

kevinbmx77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Finished the heads

kevinbmx77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Engine is all torn down and ready to be rebuilt. Im not going to keep posting about me building the engine on here since this is meant to be for the actual swap. But right now i have to re-ring the pistons and put in new connecting rod bearing, when the motor is ready to go in i will start posting again.

kevinbmx77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just discovered the block has been bored 60 over
im lucky someone took a look at the numbers on the pistons before i ordered the rebuild kit

kevinbmx77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Heres where ive made it too so far

ATX

11/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Built not bought
Looking good brotha . Wish I could tear down like you and build here at the house . but having to slam it quickly together cause the hoa is already bugging about the explorer in my driveway . So I'm going to get it running and tear down during the winter at work . Just go my oil pan and pickup yesterday for $25 with pan braces and bolts at the jy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kevinbmx77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Looking good brotha . Wish I could tear down like you and build here at the house . but having to slam it quickly together cause the hoa is already bugging about the explorer in my driveway . So I'm going to get it running and tear down during the winter at work . Just go my oil pan and pickup yesterday for $25 with pan braces and bolts at the jy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you and i could never do any of this in my neighborhood lol. They complain about me having a roll bar and a light bar on my truck. Im using my friends warehouse to do all this and we only have till around November before they get rid of the warehouse

kevinbmx77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

Broke a headbolt while i was installing the head, just ordered a new set and im waiting on them now. Threw the rest of the parts on just because i wanted to see how it looks and save a bit of space it was taking up

kevinbmx77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Broken bolt has been removed, just waiting on the oil pan and new set then i will start tearing into my truck

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals