• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1994 Ford Ranger XLT 2.3L man. trans.

danielwd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Two months ago my Ranger didn't start. I jumped it, went and had the battery checked and it failed. I bought a new one. No big deal.

Wrong. A few weeks later, upon cranking my truck, it wouldn't turn over and just went dead - like the battery went dead. I waited a few minutes...cranked it and it started right up. This occurred about 2 or 3 times since I got my new battery. Also every time it happened, the clock reset and my memorized radio stations reset.

Then yesterday, I went out to start it and NOTHING. Absolutely nothing. I jumped it and it cranked and started just fine. Then I turned it off...cranked it...and nothing. I jumped it and it started just fine. Now, it only starts on jump, and lights are dim and dinging noise from door being opened is faint. Any time I turn it off - it is dead (no lights, radio etc...NOTHING).

I took off the alternator and battery and took it to Autozone and they both passed their tests...battery was 100% and alternator just fine.

So now I am lost. I guess I will strip my starter and have it tested. My battery cables were replaced a couple of years ago and look fine to me. I see nothing out of the ordinary.

My guess is either the starter is about dead and requiring too many amps or the ignition switch is messed up? I also bought an ignition cylinder lock today because mine was messed up where the key wouldn't line up right and there was some play there (I have a heavy set of keys and I bet that's what caused that issue over the years).

Any further advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Sounds weak connection somewhere. Pull and jiggle the battery cables, clean your ends, and see how she does.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
A connector on the relay on the fender was rotten on mine, caused a real intermittent start issue, but started fine when I jumped it.

Broke off right at the base, couldn't tell until I pulled it off to change the relay.

danielwd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sounds weak connection somewhere. Pull and jiggle the battery cables, clean your ends, and see how she does.
Thanks for your reply. I replaced the battery cables a couple of years ago and have religiously kept them clean. They look brand new to me.

Thanks again for your reply.

danielwd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thank you for your prompt replies. I have stripped battery, starter, alternator, and starter relay off truck. I am going to take them to Autozone and have each tested. If they all pass...I will purchase brand new ones and install. If truck still has same symptoms with brand new parts, I will strip them back off and return to Autozone.

The only thing left I can think of is the ignition switch, which I may strip off too and replace with a new one.

I guess I will return all...and truck will go to junk yard with tears in my eyes (I am the original owner and have done lots of work [with the help of this forum and others] to keep it running]).

I will report back soon! Thanks again.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals